iTunes - Authorizing my MBP

Reaction score
My family has 7 Macs or so, all of them in use. Two of them my father uses as a media center. We don't have an HD television, so we can't use an Apple TV.
As you probably know, Apple restricts your authorizing many computers, as you can only have 5 authorized at once. I think this is, excuse my language, pretty stupid, since it kind of sounds to me like Apple doesn't want you to keep more than 5 computers :Angry: . My mothers' Macbook Air 2nd gen is not authorized, and neither is my brand new Macbook Pro. What can I do about this? Can I purchase extra authorization? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You will need to contact Apple directly for more than 5 authorizations. Other than that, get an HDMI to S-video/Composite/Component converter and get an Apple TV. The TV does not have to be HD.

OP
K
Reaction score
You will need to contact Apple directly for more than 5 authorizations. Other than that, get an HDMI to S-video/Composite/Component converter and get an Apple TV. The TV does not have to be HD.

Thanks. Do I contact any special department of Apple regarding the issue?

I will also look into the HDMI to S-video/Composite/Component converter, since we already have an Apple TV.

C

chas_m

Have you looked into Home Sharing? This eliminates the problem by making it unnecessary for machines to all be tied into the same iTunes account. Home Sharing is a feature in iTunes, and an explanation of how it works is in the help files.

OP
K
Reaction score
Have you looked into Home Sharing? This eliminates the problem by making it unnecessary for machines to all be tied into the same iTunes account. Home Sharing is a feature in iTunes, and an explanation of how it works is in the help files.

For Home Sharing to work, my MBP needs to be authorized, and so we run into the very same problem my first post addressed.

C

chas_m

I apologize, I was using incorrect terminology. I meant iTunes sharing, which is not the same thing.

I can see -- and stream -- music from people's libraries that I've never even met at Mac gatherings, no authorization needed. I cannot of course copy the music, but I can listen to it from anyone on the local network who has iTunes Sharing turned on and iTunes open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.