desktop icons alignment

Reaction score
i set my icons to auto arrange by [some category like name]
when it arrange they are really spaced out enough to fit a whole column between the columns that it sets, so if i had 2 columns of icons, it spaced as if there were columns, only the middle doesnt have anything
when i set it no auto arrange, and align to grid, i find that i could just manually move each icon to a more compact spacing, (basically moving it to the column that was between the column that didnt exist)
does anyone know how to fix the column spacing? is there a file or setting i can do?

this has been driving me insane, everything is spaced out twice as much then is really needed

this was problem in panther and tiger

Reaction score
lets see what you mean .I haven't had that problem in either tiger or panther

Reaction score
I just tried to lessen the space .if you do not check off"keep arrange by", it will give you more room

OP
J
Reaction score
it has nothing to do with +- 1 pixel or here and there... my icons are spaced very very far apart horizontally, there obviously something wrong with my space. when it gets to my second column, i am already half way into the screen

i want to keep them auto arranged, i dont want to have to position each one.

someone please help

OP
J
Reaction score
its bascially displays icons every other column, when it is on auto arrange

OP
J
Reaction score
anything in the command + j menu doesnt help this problem

anyone else with ideas?

OP
J
Reaction score
ok, i found the soultion, delete com.apple.finder
something like that in the pref that was messing things up, now my icons are aligned beautifully
thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
alright, ive been trying to figure this out for a while now and i cant get it to work. i tried deleting the .plist file but that didnt work. i can only fit 6 icons horizontally when i should clearly be able to fit about 12. changing the icon size doesnt work either. does anyone know of a way to change the grid size?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.