Keyboard malfunction / key biding?

Reaction score
I've asked this question in

Mac-Forums.com > Apple Hardware > Apple Notebooks > http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/181346-keyboard-malfunction.html

but I had no answer so thought I might be asking it in the wrong place.

For some reason on my MacBook the Control key and number 8 key are linked. This means I can't type 8 or *. I can type 8 by holding alt key but I can only type * using the mouse and the on-screen keyboard.

Same situation with Caps Lock and left arrow key. Doesn't matter which one I press, I get Caps Lock on/off and cursor moves one character to the left.

I'm very new to Mac (after 20 years on the PC) so please keep that in mind. :)

I suspect that somewhere these sets of keys got set to use same code but don't have a clue where to check. In the keyboard and language settings everything is set to default.

Not sure if it is relevant, but I use English UK settings, not US (spell checker, date format, etc.)

Thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
sorry just noticed I spelled "key biding" wrong - should have been "key binding".

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought I might have found a solution to my problem when I found KeyRemap4MacBook (KeyRemap4MacBook) even though I wasn't keeping my hopes too high.

After installing it I was disappointed to find that KeyRemap4MacBook did not recognise that there are any keys re-maped.

The EventViewer which reads every key stroke gives me this:

When I press Ctrl:
eventType:keyMod code:0x3b name:Control_L flags:Ctrl misc:
eventType:keyDown code:0x1c name:8 flags:Ctrl misc:
eventType:keyMod code:0x3b name:Control_L flags: misc:
eventType:keyUp code:0x1c name:8 flags: misc:

When I press 8:
eventType:keyMod code:0x3b name:Control_L flags:Ctrl misc:
eventType:keyDown code:0x1c name:8 flags:Ctrl misc:
eventType:keyMod code:0x3b name:Control_L flags: misc:
eventType:keyUp code:0x1c name:8 flags: misc:

Also with the other two keys -

when I press Caps Lock I get:
eventType:keyDown code:0x7b name:Left flags:NumPad Fn misc:
eventType:keyMod code:0x39 name:CapsLock flags:Caps misc:
eventType:keyUp code:0x7b name:Left flags:Caps NumPad Fn misc:

When I press the left arrow key I get:
eventType:keyMod code:0x39 name:CapsLock flags: misc:
eventType:keyDown code:0x7b name:Left flags:NumPad Fn misc:
eventType:keyUp code:0x7b name:Left flags:NumPad Fn misc:

One thing I noticed today is that if I press left key very quickly caps lock does not go with it i.e. I get left key stroke only.

It really strange as I hardly have any apps so not sure how did all this happen! :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.