New to home recording, need advice on gear

Reaction score
Hey everyone, since I just got my new iMac, and I want to start recording myself and friends playing guitar, bass, etc., I was wondering what you would recommend as far as audio interfaces, monitors, and microphones. I want to keep my total budget under $500 as well. So far as interfaces go, I have looked at M-Audio and Lexicon, but I'm still not sold on them. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My friend that plays in a band says she will not part with her Duet , more than your budget but you might want to take a look and she uses several types of Shure mics
they are probably going to tax your budget also but they hold up well. Apogee Duet 2 Music Interface - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you are close to a Guitar Center, they are putting on FREE seminars from Apple in using GarageBand. It is a great intro to the software, and there are plenty of gadgets at the Guitar Center to look at and they are generally running specials on gear. I highly recommend it. I am going through my 2nd seminar (remember, FREE).

Hit https://seminars.apple.com and search your area.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
oh, where to start....

For guitars you want decent quality dynamic microphones. Dynamics can withstand higher SPL levels (guitars get loud) without being damaged.

Vocals, and pretty much anything which has most of its fundamentals in the higher frequencies (violins, strings, acoustic guitars, tambourines, etc) are best suited to a Condenser microphone.

Condenser mic's require Phantom Power (+48v) to operate, so make sure your interface accomodates this feature if you plan on using one.

Id recommend a Shure SM57 to anyone buying a guitar microphone, and a Rhode NT1A to vocalists. good price points and excellent quality.

For bass I'd recommend DI'ing or if you have the cash a dedicated AKG D112.

M-Audio make good interfaces. decent DAC on them, from what I have heard and driver support is good.

Not sure about lexicon's interfaces, but they are renowned in the industry for quality reverb units, so they are a brand that can be trusted.

Apogee are known to play nicely with Macs. Also have a look at Focusrite (very highly regarded pre-amps) and Avid hardware.

On the monitor side, dont buy Behringer! they make terrible sounding, "boxy" monitors in my opinion. always go premium on monitors, as they are your last port of call for the final mix. Good monitor brands: Adam, KRK, Fostex, Dynaudio.

Also, the key to a good mix is understanding what your room sounds like. Every room has a different characteristic which blurs your perception of the audio; it may sound great, but someone in a different room may have a completely different sounding room and therefore it will sound crap to them. its important when making mixing decisions.

Monitors might sound nice in the shop, but will they sound good (or more correctly, accurate) in my room?

Always listen to monitors in a store before buying.

If you want a good mix, don't do it on headphones.

Audio gear, like pretty much everything, is one of those "you get what you pay for" industries. 500 bucks isnt going to get you the best gear, and most of the stuff i have recommended is beyond your budget.

But when buying, compare what you are interested in with what i have recommended. i suggest these because they are like the staple diet of studios today. If you are interested in a Dynamic mic for your guitar, think, what is that like in comparison to an SM57? Read reviews, if you are lucky, give them a listen, do an a/b comparison and so on.

Well havent i rambled on... hope some of this helps you.

Reaction score
If this is your first foray into computer recording, and assuming your overall level of recording experience is more newbie than expert, I'd say spend your money in the following order: 1) interface, 2) mics, 3) monitors. The interface will make it easier (or conversely, harder) to get the sound to the computer for editing/mixing/mastering, so if that's not working well it won't matter what else you have. A $6K Neumann mic won't help if the interface sux. Conversely, you can get quite acceptable recordings using pretty average mics. And you can mix quite well through decent headphones . . . I mix using Klipsch Pro Media computer speakers and it works very well.

On interfaces, the M-Audio stuff is good and reasonably priced. If you are going to multi-track and edit in GarageBand (or any DAW), then you will likely not need more than two inputs on the interface (i.e., you'll record guitar, then separately record bass, then vocals, etc) so there will not be a lot of simultaneous recording of everything (unless you're going for an early Beatles vibe). So the real key for the interface is to have both XLR and 1/4 inch inputs (so you can connect mics and keys/synth modules) . . .decent preamps on the mic inputs helps, but again at a basic level of recording don't get too worked up over differences in the mic pre's between units. An interface that connects to the computer via firewire will be somewhat better than USB, but for basic recording not a big difference.

The big difference depends on whether you want a physical interface to mix or you want to use the virtual interface of GB (or other DAW). That is, once you have the basic tracks recorded and you start mixing, do you want a physical mixing board to work with or will you be happy using the on-screen mixing board? Ultimately, a physical board is much easier to use, more flexible, more intuitive, etc., but of course increases cost considerably. You can get excellent results with either. Behringer, Alesis, and others make 6-8 channel mixers with USB interfaces in the $300 range that would be okay for home recording/mixing (and can double as live mixers for the band). You'll hear a lot about Pro Tools (it's the fav of most major recording studios), but it's expensive and until the current version required specific hardware interfaces. It's a great program, is industry standard, has a billion available plug-ins for every sound, effect, and doodad known to man. It would be something to consider down the road.

As for mics, as mentioned it's hard to beat the Shure SM58 for vocals, SM57 for mic'g amps, horns, and/or vocals. These are industry standard mics, and while there are certainly better mics for each application, you will find both of these in every studio and on every tour in the world. They are workhorse mics. For bass, your best best is to go direct to the interface (either via a DI Box or the direct out from the bass amp). Mic'g a bass amp isn't usually all that great since most mics (including the Shure's above) are not optimized for those low frequencies.

Others may disagree, but I'd spend the remaining money on one or two sets of good, sound isolating (i.e., over the ear) headphones rather than monitors. You can mix decently through headphones, and you'll need two sets to allow playback to your musicians for track recording (so the guitarist can hear the other tracks while he/she records the new track) and allow you to monitor what's going on unless you have a separate control booth. Most decent outboard computer speakers will suffice for final mix monitors (particularly if they have separate subwoofers), and will do as good a job as cheap "recording monitors." Said another way, unless you're going to spend $500+ on monitors, you'll get acceptable results using something like the Klipsch Pro Media computer speaker (or any equivalent from Logitech or whoever), so spend the money on the interface, mics and headphones.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Thats a great post Daddy Elmis, and certainly worthy of some rep.

Others may disagree, but I'd spend the remaining money on one or two sets of good, sound isolating (i.e., over the ear) headphones rather than monitors. You can mix decently through headphones

But I will disagree here. Listening on headphones is unnatural, and mixing entirely on headphones is a big mistake. Headphone mixes generally sound pretty awful.

dont get me wrong, A/B against headphones, check your spatial information and reverb, and make sure it sounds good on them, but rely on your speakers as your primary mix point.

also, wearing headphones gets fatiguing after a while.

Reaction score
I agree monitors are best. But if you figure a $500 budget and the following

Interface $300
One SM58/57 $100
One Headphones $100

There's nothing left for monitors. You'll need at least one set of headphones, so even if you buy really crappy ones you'll have $70 or less for monitors, and you're not going to get anything worth a wooden nickel in studio monitors for that price. My personal opinion is that I'd suffer through headphone mixing and either try for 2 sets of semi-decent headphones or put any "extra" money into the interface. You can always buy or borrow monitors later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.