My wifi network cannot be found anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
We had a summer storm come thru and knock out our electricity & cable for about 6 hours. So the electricity comes back on and I sit down at my iMac only to notice that my Airport indicator was turned off. No problem, I unplug and replug my modem and recheck my airport indicator...Nothing. I then check the list of networks and notice mine is not on the list at all, yet the modem lights are indicating its running as usual.

I have a Linksys Router and I have noticed that there is a unprotected Linksys network showing. Is there any way it could have forgotten it's network name and just show up as Linksys? I really don't think it's possible, but I'm just grasping at straws. Don't think it's mine because the signal isn't strong enough. I have refreshed the list multiple times and it's still not there. It's not showing up on my iPad2 or iPhone4 either. I know the router is working because I'm posting on the direct ethernet connection.

We've had this router for a couple of years and have never had a problem such as this. Can somebody give me some directions on how to go about fixing this problem? I've got everything from printers to computers to bluray players on it and I'm scared to screw it up. I know I have a WEP security code FWIW and I do know the code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Go into the router menu and reset it storms have a way of sending nasty spikes which
plays heck on electrical equipment.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea where the router menu is and I'm not sure which network is mine. We had a pro set this up years ago and I don't even know where the software is that came with the router.

If I've got to go set this up from the beginning, I may just go buy a Airport Extreme to replace it. The Linksys unit is probably 8 years old or older

Thanks for the reply. I guess my surge protector failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you are running an 8 year old router it's probably time to go buy something new. Invest the $$$ in an Airport Extreme. You'll be amazed at how much better things will be.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got one more question. When was the latest Airport Extreme put out on the market? Just curious if this is going to be replaced any time soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Go to your browser type in 192.168.1.1 set the name admin and password admin this
is providing that a name was not set if it was then this will give you access after holding in the reset button on the back of the Linksys. At 8 yrs old I bet the power supply took a hit or is just not up to par any more and the latest AEBS is over a year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Some Linksys routers that old did not have a password.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would also suggest like others have, get a newer router. WEP can be hacked so easily and is not very secure. Also that lightning strike could have done damage to the router since it obviously set it back to factory settings, thus your issues.

And Brad is correct, very old Linksys's had no password, just the Admin for the username.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Got one more question. When was the latest Airport Extreme put out on the market? Just curious if this is going to be replaced any time soon.

I think the current version was released about a year ago or so, maybe a bit less. Not sure what the update on them is but it will meet your needs and will be significantly faster than what you have right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.