iTunes problem

Reaction score
This is probably in the wrong forum so I apologize ahead of time.

Lately, as in since the last 2 or 3 updates for iTunes on my Mac, whenever I am previewing music in iTunes and also have Safari up and running, the iTunes is constantly interrupting the music and I get a pop up box that says "buffering".
It is really annoying trying to listen to the preview of songs to see if I like them but they are constantly interrupted. This happens 3-5 times per song. And it only happens when I have Safari running and am on the web.

Is this intentional on Apple's part? If not, what could be causing it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are the specs for your Mac? Year, Model, and have much memory do you have? Also, when was the last time you cleaned out the Safari cache?

(Safari -> Reset Safari)

OP
bryan08252
Reaction score
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.45f0
Serial Number (system): QP93007Y250
Hardware UUID: E794F9B7-6F94-5183-9AEE-5E753980B708

I'm not sure when the last time I reset safari was... but I am going to do it as soon as I post this.

OP
bryan08252
Reaction score
Ok, I reset Safari and iTunes still constantly was rebuffering the stream.

Also, my Mac HD says my capacity is 999.86 GB and I have 830.33 GB available.

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like you have some kind of downloading program installed that is stealing off all the bandwidth, making it impossible for iTunes to stream songs. Since this only happens when Safari is open, obviously that's where we should look for the culprit.

You can use Activity Monitor to see what process Safari is using that's eating up your bandwidth, but at a guess I'd say you installed Speed Download (wretched program) or something like it on your Mac at some point and it's trying to re-download things that didn't complete for whatever reason. SD is designed to eat ALL the bandwidth it can in that quest, which is why people hate it and generally uninstall it sooner rather than later.

OP
bryan08252
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Not sure what Speed Download is... I don't think I downloaded it.

Activity Monitor is telling me that I have between 96 and 97% idle. The biggest % cpu that I see is iTunes and that is varying between 2.2 and 3.1%.

OP
bryan08252
Reaction score
Update:

Still having the problem with iTunes. Now it is even doing it when Safari is not open. Tried previewing some songs today and had to quit iTunes due to the fact that each song played about 2 seconds before I would get the rebuffering message. And this continued for the entire song.

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.