Speed issues with Airport Extreme

Reaction score
So I just upgraded to fiber optic. At the wall connection I'm getting 30Mbps up and down.

When I do the speed test wired or wireless through my airport extreme I barely get 1.3Mbps upload and less than 1Mbps down.

I reset my airport extreme a couple of times and also checked with a pc. At first I thought it was my macbook and that led me to testing the speed wired to the airport extreme. When I got the same results it's leading me to believe something is wrong with it.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's maybe 3 years old if that. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So I just upgraded to fiber optic. At the wall connection I'm getting 30Mbps up and down.

When I do the speed test wired or wireless through my airport extreme I barely get 1.3Mbps upload and less than 1Mbps down.

I reset my airport extreme a couple of times and also checked with a pc. At first I thought it was my macbook and that led me to testing the speed wired to the airport extreme. When I got the same results it's leading me to believe something is wrong with it.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's maybe 3 years old if that. Thanks!

Try this tip:
Is your 802.11n Wi-Fi feeling sluggish? This simple solution could help | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

That aside, I've read that the latest Time Capsules are faster than the older ones due to use of a pair of antennas, or something to that effect. Of course none of this may even be the issue. There are a lot of factors that may need to be explored.

EDIT: Also check out this blog entry on wireless networking.
http://www.mac-forums.com/blog/wireless-networking-faq/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only issue is the OP says that it happens hard wired to the router. That would rule out WiFi.

OP
H
Reaction score
Only issue is the OP says that it happens hard wired to the router. That would rule out WiFi.

Yeah it's wired or wireless... I'm trying another firmware now to see if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bottleneck somewhere OP.

Even in rural Australia where I am and have no ADSL2, download is 8.72Mbps and Upload 0.74Mbps. Using WPA2 Personal? And imho three years is about the maximum for a modem/router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

*beats head against wall* Gaaaaah!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Need some clarification regarding what you mean by "At the wall connection I'm getting 30Mbps up and down"? How have you verified that?

OP
H
Reaction score
Need some clarification regarding what you mean by "At the wall connection I'm getting 30Mbps up and down"? How have you verified that?

Yup, verified that. From the box outside they ran cat5 to the room where my router is at. I can plug straight into the wall plate and run a speed test and get 30up/down. The slowdown occurs when I plug the router in to the wall plate and then go wired to the airport extreme or connect wirelessly. When I run the same speed test I get horrible results. Tested on my mac and pc, same results all 3 ways (with router out of the picture / wired to the router / wireless).

I like the airport extreme but it appears it may be time for a new router...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
If you have connected your computer directly to the modem and you are getting at least 80% of the rated speed, then your "bottleneck" is between your modem and your Airport Extreme. Since the issue is present in both wired and wireless connections, the issue is most likely a setting conflict between the two or a security conflict between the two. I'd take a look at your security settings first, (firewalls, NAT), to make sure they are not duplicated. Your security should be set up in either your modem or your router, but not both, (you could actually have two firewalls and two NAT which is called double Natting, but the potential for conflicts in your connections is increased). Try and see if allocating the security to your Airport extreme, for example, alleviates the issue.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Tend to agree with Wolfsbane - now that your setup is a little clearer. Wouldn't be surprised to find that you're double NAT'd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Set the AEBS to bridge mode then it can not double nat then set IPv4 to DHCP it should then prompt for a restart. You must have an outside modem.

OP
H
Reaction score
I just dug out an old linksys from my closet and hooked it up. I'm getting 21Mbps down and 25Mbps up wireless now so it has to be the airport extreme.

Will try the above settings in a few minutes and see if that helps. If not then I'm going to sport the linksys until I decide on a new router. Can't keep it long term because I need the USB port for my network storage...

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. Hopefully something will work out! This is the only time I've had any issue with apple stuff. It just works....mostly...lol

OP
H
Reaction score
Set the AEBS to bridge mode then it can not double nat then set IPv4 to DHCP it should then prompt for a restart. You must have an outside modem.

That was it! Thanks for the help!!! Now I can finally enjoy the faster speed.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well I think I spoke too soon... Seems everything was trucking along and then it just bumped me off. I think the IP address changed. That's the only thing I can see that is different when I unplug the airport extreme and leave it out of the loop. Seems it fixes itself after me going wired without the airport extreme in the mix for a few minutes and plug the cable back into the AEBS - ie the IP address changes to match what I saw on the ethernet settings page.

This is strange... Any thoughts on why it just decides to stop working???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I have a feeling that it is actually your modem not wanting to play nice. Of course, your AEBS could also be retaining old settings from a previous network, (your previous service level), that are no longer applicable.

You could reset your AEBS and have it re-acquire the correct new setting from your modem again, or you can take a look at your TCP/IP settings and DNS settings. See which is doing the DHCP. If your modem has a wireless, and it is turned on, it could be creating a conflict with the AEBS. If this is the case, I would turn the modem wireless off and have the more capable AEBS do the wireless routing.

OP
H
Reaction score
And the saga continues...

My speed issue is resolved but I have a new problem as stated last night. New info on the new problem:

When I turn my computer to sleep mode and reopen I get this error:
AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.2.230 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

To fix I have to unplug my cable from the AEBS and plug it into the ethernet port on my laptop. Afterwards I plug it back into the AEBS and click Renew DHCP Lease.

That's the only way it will get me the correct IP address...

Thoughts???

OP
H
Reaction score
From my searching I found this and tried, seems to be working:

Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration
deleted all files and restarted computer

Seems to be working now.

Only problem now is my iPad2 and my PC running XP can't connect to the internet. I'm getting frustrated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From my searching I found this and tried, seems to be working:

Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration
deleted all files and restarted computer

Seems to be working now.

Only problem now is my iPad2 and my PC running XP can't connect to the internet. I'm getting frustrated...

That sounds like you had the iPad and PC connecting to the internet using "Internet Sharing" on your Mac. If they were getting online via the AirPort, then deleting those config files wouldn't have affected those at all. You can set up Internet Sharing via System Preferences > Sharing and do the obvious from there.

If you continue to have these speed issues, I would get up with your ISP. If you are double-firewalling as suggested, perhaps their router/modem can be configured for bridge mode and you can then use your AEBS as normal.

OP
H
Reaction score
Update: finally got tired of my AEBS so I was using an old router for a while. Got the itch to find a new router so I bought a Belkin. I didn't realize that the Belkin would only recognize NTFS or Fat32 hard drives so that turned out badly - I returned that router (even though it worked perfectly and was easy to set up).

And since my buddies had no issues with the AEBS I decided to give a new one a try. The new AEBS worked great, my speed is where it should be and all the setting were the same.

Turns out my old AEBS has something wrong with it internally... It sucks that I had to buy a new AEBS but nice to know what the problem was all along.

Thanks for the help all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.