ipad + macbook air = ideal tablet pc

Reaction score
First, let me just say that I am not sure where the best place is to post hardware suggestions, so I'm just posting it here. If the "Community Suggestions" forum is a more appropriate place, just delete this post.

I have enjoyed using my iPad, however I also find myself frequently lugging around my laptop for work and games. An ideal solution for me (as well as some of my friends, and therefor the entire population of the planet) would be a full PC in the form of an iPad w/ touchscreen, with a full OS, much larger screen (17 inches), and a way to prop the tablet up for use as a monitor when I want to use a keyboard and mouse. Judging from the thinness of the macbook air, this seems like a very reasonable evolution of the PC, and it seems that Apple is in a prime position to once again revoultionize the laptop market, in a much more serious way than the iPad.

This is not a new idea of course, but I thought I would still show my support, as I would spend up to $3000 for a reasonably powerful tablet pc. Does anyone alse agree?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have enjoyed using my iPad, however I also find myself frequently lugging around my laptop for work and games. An ideal solution for me (as well as some of my friends, and therefor the entire population of the planet) would be a full PC in the form of an iPad w/ touchscreen, with a full OS, much larger screen (17 inches), and a way to prop the tablet up for use as a monitor when I want to use a keyboard and mouse. Judging from the thinness of the macbook air, this seems like a very reasonable evolution of the PC, and it seems that Apple is in a prime position to once again revoultionize the laptop market, in a much more serious way than the iPad.

This is not a new idea of course, but I thought I would still show my support, as I would spend up to $3000 for a reasonably powerful tablet pc. Does anyone alse agree?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Asus makes a windows one: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee- ASUS Eee Slate EP121
Core i5

OP
P
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's pretty close to what I was thinking, but still not quite there yet. The 12 inch display, 64 gig SSD, and no apparent discrete graphics card leaves a lot to be desired. And then there are the form factors (thickness, weight) which Apple is thankfully very good at minimizing. So I think I'll still wait, holding out hope that something much better is on the horizon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads. Please do not crosspost the same topic in multiple places.

(And no, this has nothing to do with Community Suggestions.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
An ideal solution for me (as well as some of my friends, and therefor the entire population of the planet)...

Well we know that this statement is not correct...since not everyone thinks or has the same needs as you & your friends.;)

...would be a full PC in the form of an iPad w/ touchscreen, with a full OS, much larger screen (17 inches), and a way to prop the tablet up for use as a monitor when I want to use a keyboard and mouse.

This isn't exactly the same as the specs you mentioned...but close:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Modbook

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.