Still no flash

Reaction score
Just don't understand the no flash or USB port. Can someone help me understand. It's at a point that my next tablet will not be an iPad unless these issues are remedied.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure what this has to do with "Community Suggestions and Feedback". Moving to a more appropriate forum.

C

chas_m

Just don't understand the no flash or USB port. Can someone help me understand. It's at a point that my next tablet will not be an iPad unless these issues are remedied.

I'll summarize what Steve Jobs said about Flash thusly:

"We would have no problem putting Flash on the iPad if Adobe could come up with a version of Flash that performs well and doesn't eat the battery and processor for lunch. So far, they have not managed to do that."

That was a year ago, and guess what? They still haven't. Read ANY review from ANY source about how well the Flash performs on tablets or phones that claim to support it: they will always, ALWAYS start with "well it's nothing like as good as on a desktop, but it works. Kinda."

So the answer to the question of why the iPad doesn't have Flash is because Adobe sucks.

Your USB port question has already been answered.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In addition to the performance issues Chas mentioned there is another equally important issue with Flash. Much of the current Flash content on the web does not really lend itself to a touch based interface. Some things could be kinda kludged by temperately enlarging the window so the controls could be touched but do you really want to do that every time you need to make a change such as rewinding a video?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had Flash on my Droid Incredible running 2.2 (and it wasn't the watered down Lite version either). It was next to useless. Some videos would play, but in nearly all cases, there was an alternative way to view them outside of Flash. And Chas is correct, open a Flash video and you could literally watch the battery drain in real time, in addition to having the phone heat up in your palm.

I just don't think this is as much of an issue today as it was at one time. But if you really must have Flash support, there are ways to do it like I mentioned previously.

Aside from that, good luck with the multitude of Android devices in addition to the BlackBerry Playbook that runs it. My last Android experience was quite similar to using Linux- it looks pretty out of the box, but once you start customizing it, things go south very quickly. I'd rather spend my time USING the device than troubleshooting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.