Why does my computer freeze every time I open iTunes?!

Reaction score
Every time I open iTunes on my Macbook, the whole computer freezes and the iTunes display panel says "Determining Gapless Playback" and has a bar marking progress, showing as though it is about to "Determine Gapless Playback" for my entire music library. It freezes if I don't touch it (usually hoping it will finish doing whatever it is doing and then allow me into my library) or I hit the small "x" in the display panel. Either way, it freezes the entire computer so that I cannot even force quit iTunes. I have all updates for both my computer (I run Snow Leopard) and for iTunes, I have almost 50 gb of free space on my computer, and I still don't know what to do. I cannot sync any of my purchased material from my iPhone to my computer and cannot load music, etc from my computer to phone. If I plug my phone in to my MacBook, of course it tries to launch iTunes and the thing freezes. Any ideas what to do with this? I did not know if this was perhaps a common problem...

Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd suggest deleting the iTunes preference file, found at:

Users / your user / Library/ Preferences / com.apple.itunes...

There are three different ones - After you "quit" iTunes, move all three of those to the trash - don't empty trash yet.

Start iTunes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.