Favourite DAW

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Interested to see the most popular music creation platform for Mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You missed my favourite . . . . Audacity ;)

But from the list GarageBand is a remarkable piece of kit . . . .

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm down for GarageBand too . . . But I'm strictly an amateur musician.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
C

chas_m

Actually my first choice wasn't up there -- Amadeus Pro. Garageband is a second choice. It has some frankly incredible features if you dig into it, but as an audio EDITOR it's not really up to snuff -- because it wasn't designed for heavy editing.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You cant really compare Audacity and Amadeus Pro to the likes of Logic, and Garageband etc. They are really for different uses.

While you can make music on them, in my mind they weren't designed for that purpose; they are audio editors, designed to clean up audio/record vinyl and system Audio etc. Theres no MIDI support in either of them which is a big thing for music, hence why I left them out :p

Plus, day to day I have this argument with fellow students, and I must say they worship Logic like it's the ground they walk on. Im surprised at the results so far, but it would be interesting to see once there are a few more voters.

C

chas_m

Well, let's remember that there are different kinds of recording besides strictly music-making. I use my audio tools MOSTLY for podcasts and radio commercials.

Even when it comes to musical creation, my musician friends tell me constantly that there are two types of recording apps: those that are ideal for "real" music making (ie live or studio recording) and those that are ideal for "digital put-together" (ie, loops and samples and generally electronic stuff).

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, let's remember that there are different kinds of recording besides strictly music-making. I use my audio tools MOSTLY for podcasts and radio commercials.

I can agree with that. But I wanted to see it from a musical perspective. adding Audacity, Amadeus etc would clutter the poll, and the purpose would be blurred.

Even when it comes to musical creation, my musician friends tell me constantly that there are two types of recording apps: those that are ideal for "real" music making (ie live or studio recording) and those that are ideal for "digital put-together" (ie, loops and samples and generally electronic stuff).

Yep. although most of the apps i have mentioned (bar perhaps Reason) can do both admirably.

We need more votes! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13" 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Memory
Pro Tools all day long :)

I use Pro Tools for recording, Logic and cubase for midi editing, Reason for sounds via Rewire and Ableton for fun :p

Always thought Garageband as a little bit amature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Ableton for electronic/synth work/live and Audition for real instrument recording/mixing/mastering.

Reaction score

That's a great way to distinguish things like Pro Tools and Logic, versus Reason, Garageband, etc. While PT and Logic can certainly do that latter, Reason/GB and the like are very weak for live instrument and vocal recording.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I was huge into Ableton Live for a while, but recently switched to Adobe Audition CS5.5 .. I like it much better, plus my Yamaha mixer drivers work better with Audition vs. Ableton, less latency issues I found.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.