Macbook - boot problems

BMD

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm having some trouble with my macbook not booting. It's 2.16GHZ white model from 2007 running leopard.

At first I was just getting a grey screen and nothing else, not even the startup sound. After resetting the PRAM i'm getting the flashing '?' folder when I just try to boot normally from the internal hard drive (320GB Hitachi).

When I boot from CD I can't see the hard drive in startup disk, but I can see the hard drive in disk utility, so I know it isn't completely dead. When I tried to repair the drive in disk utility I got the 'invalid B-Tree node size' error.

So, I completely erased the hard drive and successfully reinstalled OSX; or so I thought. It went through all the motions of a successful installation, at the end I was prompted to restart the machine as usual, and I did - except the machine wouldn't boot up and came up with the flashing '?' folder again.

I booted up in 'Apple Hardware Test' mode and did a complete test, no errors were found.

I am completely stumped, if anyone has any suggestions please post them.

Thanks
B

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your hard drive has gone south... (it's defective) and should be replaced. No amount of formatting and reinstalling is going to work. The invalid B-Tree node size error is fatal. As inexpensive as large hard drives are, just replace it.

OP
B

BMD

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll install a new hard drive and see how it goes.

Cheers
B

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.