Password issues

Reaction score
I have a Power Mac G5 2.0 processor that i installed Leopard onto. I did not put a password in the OS during installation but now when i try to do a Mac software update i get asked for a password???????!!!!! i don"t get???!!!
Is there a way around this. i can recall a time where on other occasions I booted from the install disk and seeing an option for " Password Reset".
Help.... what to do ?????!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
any install on OS X will ask for an administrative password. This is a security feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And as you left the password blank on setup, just leave it blank and hit the blue button. This is now your password!

OP
B
Reaction score
Heres what i did. i booted from the Leopard installation CD and went to disk utilities/password reset and created a password, saved it and rebooted. When prompted at start-up for the password, i entered it of course and as was well. When I did my software updates again i was prompted for a password, entered it and all was well.
That was a couple of days ago but today when i start the G5, all i get is a blue screen, i can see the mouse but thats all. The G5 never completely boots, it just sits there with a blue screen!!!!!!!!!??????? What happened ?????!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Heres what i did. i booted from the Leopard installation CD and went to disk utilities/password reset and created a password, saved it and rebooted. When prompted at start-up for the password, i entered it of course and as was well. When I did my software updates again i was prompted for a password, entered it and all was well.
That was a couple of days ago but today when i start the G5, all i get is a blue screen, i can see the mouse but thats all. The G5 never completely boots, it just sits there with a blue screen!!!!!!!!!??????? What happened ?????!!!!!

External firewire device connected? Boot with out it. Good after that try boot again with FW device connected to see if this occurs again, if so try different port, if no success open firmware reset may be in order. G5 known for FW issues and have seen countless issues with blue screen caused by FW.
And for clarity my "opinion" no guarantees here, just a helpful extension of experience.
Best

OP
B
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, but I am really Mac-dum ( hey i think i just coined a new phrase) but how do i do this " Firmware Reset". Again thanks for all the help, Mac guys and Apple girls, it very much appreciated!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.