Password works only in certain places?

Reaction score
(Snow Leopard question)

My wife changed her password on her (Administrator-level) account recently, and she can still log in fine. However, she can't unlock anything. When she clicks on the little gold padlock, the prompt comes up and she enters her password, but it says its incorrect.

But she is able to log in with this same password.

I tried using my account to reset her password. It worked...but only for her login. She still can't unlock padlocked screens. What's going on? And yes, she still is listed as an administrative account.

EDIT:
On a suggestion from a friend, I logged into my account, went into Accounts and changed her shortname/accountname via Advanced Options, rebooted, then logged back into mine and changed it back. Rebooted once more, and the problem was gone. So I don't know exactly what it was, but its fixed now. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
(Snow Leopard question)

My wife changed her password on her (Administrator-level) account recently, and she can still log in fine. However, she can't unlock anything. When she clicks on the little gold padlock, the prompt comes up and she enters her password, but it says its incorrect.

But she is able to log in with this same password.

I tried using my account to reset her password. It worked...but only for her login. She still can't unlock padlocked screens. What's going on? And yes, she still is listed as an administrative account.

EDIT:
On a suggestion from a friend, I logged into my account, went into Accounts and changed her shortname/accountname via Advanced Options, rebooted, then logged back into mine and changed it back. Rebooted once more, and the problem was gone. So I don't know exactly what it was, but its fixed now. :)

Hmmmm. Glad you were able to get that tip to fix it. I've never seen that one before. Will have to remember it. Thanks for the update!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.