• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP - Log and Transfer problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
A more experienced editor recently pointed out to me that to ensure the best quality I should import the raw files into FCP instead of converting them to Quicktime files in Wondershare video converter and dragging them in, so I imported the entire contents of my SD card onto my desktop and followed the necessary steps to Log and Transfer using the '*** volume' button.

I got the following message:

'WARNING: "STREAM" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.'

Am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Your friend was definitely right, you should not be using a software package like that, which is really meant to transcode to a distribution format, to pre-transcode the footage for FCP. FCP when it logs & transfers the footage, will store it in an edit friendly compression for editing rather then a lossy distribution compression codec.

Ok, first question - is this an AVCHD camcorder?

If it is, and you copied the "entire" contents, did you just copy the stream files, or did you copy the private folder to your desktop?

In log and transfer, I don't know what the '*** volume' button is, there is a button to allow you to navigate to a folder that contains the private folder which should be all you need to do for FCP to check and offer for import into the software.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Hi Nethfel thanks for your assistance, yes it's AVCHD, it's Panasonic AG HMC 152 to be precise.

I copied the entire contents (the PRIVATE) file onto my desktop.

I meant the 'Add Volume' button, have no idea why it was censored with stars though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, give this a try - create a folder on your desktop - call it whatever you want. Drag the private folder in there. Point the Add Volumes location to that folder (not the private folder) and see if it sees anything different. What version of FCP are you using?

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
It worked! ..I never would have thought of that!!

Thanks to you, a complete stranger on the other side of the world (me) can get on with his work.

Thankyou, thanks and thanks again - I hope this post makes you smile and feel good about yourself, you deserve it. :)

P.S. Version 7.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just glad it worked :) It's a weird thing, you can't point to the private folder, but you can point to the folder just above it and it works - but since I don't like just having my private folders on my desktop, I usually create subfolders (which also makes it easier to sort in terms of long term storage ;) )

Good luck, and glad I could help.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
I now have to add the rest of the footage, some of which is sharing another SD card with footage from an unrelated project, and some of which was taken on a GoPro Hero HD, so I will assume that the best thing to do is get the raw files from each onto my desktop and put everything relating to this project into the project file, png images, sound effects - the lot.

Fingers crossed it will all work out fine, cheers again Neth!

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Part 2 of my transfer didn't work!

About 75% of my AVCHD clips for this project have been successfully imported by importing everything from the cameras SD card on to my desktop and putting that into my project folder along with everything else including the dozen GoPro HD shots which I have put in a sub folder and can be imported no problem.

The issue I have now is with the remaining AVCHD shots I took which are on a different SD card which also contains shots from an unrelated project.

If I simply try to import the MTS files I want, I can't because they are faded out in grey and can't be selected. If I put the entire folder (SD card #2) into my project folder and go to log and transfer, nothing happens. All the clips from the first SD card are there in full view but nothing happens unless I go to the AVCHD folder and click on that and it says "AVCHD" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media. It's the same if I click on BDMV or STREAM and further than that the MTS files are faded and therefore un-selectable.

Another hurdle I need to cross before I can continue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, MTS files CAN NOT be directly imported into FCP, they aren't supported like that.

You need to add the folder containing the private folder into log and transfer (there shouldn't be a ton of other folders in the containing folder, the folder should have the private folder and MAYBE a DCIM folder (and from Panasonic a MISC folder), but if there are a bunch of other folders in there, it may cause L&T to not work right.

You don't even have to copy the footage to your computer, just have the SD card inserted and open the L&T window and it will show you the footage available for importing. If you have a LOT of footage in there, and depending on system speed, it may take some time before the clips show up.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
It's 4am here, I'm going to the Mac store tomorrow because this is maybe something that needs physical examination. You've been a great help but there are some things that can't be sorted via forum of phone and I've learned from your advice.

One thing I should mention is that when I imported SD card #2 to my desktop I returned to the cameras thumbnail/playback menu to see which clips I needed to import (by number) and it said 'NO DATA' - as if the entire contents of the card had not been duplicated but emptied onto my desktop.

So I made a backup from the desktop copy and although I was tempted then to just reformat the card I didn't and instead took a test shot in my room to see if it still worked.

Having followed your advice (and used my MacBook Pro's card reader for the first time!) it is showing TWO 'private' folders, one which is named 'PRIVATE SD2' which is the name I changed it to after the desktop import and lo and behold all the files are still there, just seem to be hidden when back in the camera.

The other folder just says 'PRIVATE' (as they always do) and this contains one clip, the test clip I shot of my colleague on Skype - which was automatically visible when I loaded log and transfer with the card in the slot.

As for the footage I need, there's no sign of life in L&T no matter how patient I am.

I am now wondering if changing the name from 'PRIVATE' to 'PRIVATE SD #2' has caused a problem. Obviously I changed the name because I didn't want to confuse it with the first SD card containing the majority of my footage but perhaps I should have left it alone.

I'm not expecting you to resolve this issue, as I said you've already been a great help - either way i'll let you know when this has a happy ending. The staff at the Apple store are sometimes helpful, sometimes not - and being Thai their English is not always so good. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Log & Transfer Woes and Tips

So here's my 2 cents both from personal experience and having just spoke with an experienced post production person from a College Film Department (who has produced his own films and who's wife is a very experienced editor). I use a MacBook Pro and Final Cut 7.

TIPS: Protect the file structure of the SD card. I know this has been said be here's how to back it up. Way 1: Make a new folder to import the ENTIRE card into (do NOT rename any of the folders ON the card). The folder you create can be named anything (something to help remember what's in there). Then drag all the contents of the card into the new folder. When you Log/Transfer you navigate to the folder you created, double click on it and when you see the three typical folders that came straight off the card you hit "Open" then. You don't drill down into the subfolders, nor do you simply point Log/Transfer to the folder you created.

TIP 2: An alternate given to me by the post production friend is CREATE A DISK BACKUP with Disk Utility. Put that into your newly named folder and again, don't mess with any of the folder names off the SD card. I believe a simple unencrypted / read/write file is sufficient. I'm trying this method today. I am told that Final Cut just reads the "Open" disc image just like an SD card. Sounds good to me.

WOES: Sometimes (so says my post production contact) Log/Transfer simply WILL NOT WORK. It will not like your card for some reason and you'll just have to transcode with another program. Voltaic is a common one but there are others. You want a quality AVCHD transcoder if you're making a film (as I am/a documentary). Voltaic seems to fit this bill as it can transcode into Apple ProRes, can deinterlace, etc..

CURRENT WOES/SUSPICIONS: I can't get Log/Transfer to recognize ANY of the cards I shot while on a recent trip from my Panasonic GH2. I shoot 24p, Highest Quality and I use the hack that is available to raise the bitrate/quality of the footage. My suspicion is that the hack "may" be an issue but I have successfully L/T'd other hacked footage and the hack doesn't to my knowledge affect the file structure whatsoever. All that said, I'm running a test now on some brand new cards. Cards can go bad as well and get corrupted. In my situation though all the footage is visible and playable with Voltaic. So I'm not suspecting corruption.

That's all I have for now. I hope that's helpful. Again, it's just my experience. Hope to hear more tips, etc from other more experienced editors. I'm primarily a shooter and the editing is something I've done 100's of hours worth of but I would only claim to be a slightly advanced amateur.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.