iMac won't accept CD's

AJF

Reaction score
My iMac is about 3+ years old and it suddenly won't accept any discs. The disc actually bounces back out of the CD drive. I tried different CD and DVD's but it does the same thing.

Does that mean the drive is dead?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sure sounds like the Optical drive is dying. Only thing besides a new drive is a Lens cleaner CD. See if that helps!

OP
A

AJF

Reaction score
Can I replace it myself or do I have to bring it to Apple? Can I just use an external drive instead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Replacing an optical drive, or anything else for that matter in an iMac is a difficult task as the entire front panel and display must first be detached from the machine. See iFixit: The free repair manual for the step by step procedure. And yes, you can use an external optical drive - either USB or FW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.