HP MediaSmart Server - hpMSSAgent (not responding)

Reaction score
I have a HP MediaSmart Server that I use to store all my media on and can access things from my Windows 7 Desktop and my MacBook without any problems.

It even works with Time Machine so my MacBook is backed up to it without any problems.

The issue I have is that the hpMSSAgent application that runs on my MacBook stops my MacBook from shutting down quickly and I have to Force Quit it to get it to close and as soon as I do my MacBook then shuts down.

I've searched HP's forums but no-one has a solution - it works on my Windows 7 computer OK as shutting down is no problem so it's just a Mac problem.

HPMediaSmartServerError.png

Any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No idea. Never saw that on mine during the couple of years it was running. It died about 3 months ago. Not aware off hand of anyone else here using the MediaSmart.

I did remove whatever that software had loading from my startup though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.