Mac motherboard/Inte motherboard

Reaction score
Could someone please advise? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find, and afford an operating system for my Powermac G4. Would it be easier, and cost effective to simply replace the motherboard with an intel motherboard so as to install Windows instead? Please could you advise? Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you can't afford the $100-$150 or so it's going to take to purchase Leopard, you're surely not going to afford the $600 or more it would cost to purchase a system board. For the cost of a system board, you could buy a brand new mac mini.

Not to mention the fact that an Intel board is not going to fit into a G4 without some modding involved along with replacing probably just about everything else, including the CPU, hard drives, video card...

A G4 is not really worth spending a penny more than it takes to get an OS installed.
imho - if you can't find a copy of Leopard for less than $150, that G4 goes up for sale and let someone else sink money into it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Intel/mac motherboard

Hi Bobtomay

Thank you for replying. Yes your probably right, I just liked the novelty of having a Apple G4, and actually the case & innards are in mint condition so maybe I'll be forced to reluctantly sell it...oh well...I enjoyed it while it lasted, even though its seven years out of date...thank you for your advise & time anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We are all faced with that KHRIZZY from time to time. Alas computer updating costs bucks and seven years is an excellent run. If it is a MDD model you will get up top $100 on auction sites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.