Newby serial number question - where's my upgrade licence

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very sorry if this is a dumb question but I come from PC world so I'm very new to Mac. I can't find an answer anywhere (have been googling for over half hour).

I had Leopard on my MacBook and purchased Snow Leopard upgrade from Amazon (Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac): Amazon.co.uk: Software)

The parcel arrived today with one DVD in it but there is no licence/serial number in it.

Is this normal or did amazon forgot to include my licence/serial number?

Wouldn't this mean that anyone can install fully functional copy of snow leopard without having a serial number (like you have to have them in a pc for windows software)?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no serial number / activation key.

The license is the disc.

Yes, that's what it means... if you're into stealing instead of paying for your stuff.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

It did look to me that there simply isn't a number as installation did not ask for it but it is very strange because I'm used to windows strict rules. Some software you need to be linked to internet or phone in order to activate it. Looks like apple users are much more conscientious :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
...Looks like apple users are much more conscientious :)

Not too sure about that. Apple has just not put that sort of pitr activation on their OS or their lower cost software up to this point in time. Thus far it's all been on the honor system.

The discs that ship with machines will not install on other machines though - mainly due to not having the drivers required for other machines.

We still have those coming around that get po'd because they have to go spend $29 and can't use that disc they got with another machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.