Leaving the macbook on all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
Hello, I am new to this forum and had a question. I ordered a macbook pro, 13 inch with the ssd the other day and am supposed to get it on Monday. I have been using windows laptops my whole life and most recently a dell. I leave the dell plugged in and on all the time and I was wondering if I am able to do that with the mac. The reason for leaving the dell on is because it takes like 5 min to boot up and another 5 to turn off and when I get up in the morning I like to be able to go right to my computer and check email and stuff. Anyway, just wondering if it is bad to leave it on all the time. Thanks a lot.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I usually have my Macs run for 6 months or more without turning them off. >_>" Only restart for updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
No problem leaving it on. Just close the lid and it will go to sleep. Will wake up right away when you open the lid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
You should turn it off if you want to move it tough I think. Something to do with the Hard Drive skipping/jogging if it is on and being moved.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
You should turn it off if you want to move it tough I think. Something to do with the Hard Drive skipping/jogging if it is on and being moved.

I got the ssd so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD
I got the ssd so that shouldn't be a problem, right?
I would put it this way; since you got an SSD, there are no moving parts to the drive. However the poster said not to move it "tough," meaning "roughly". I would never intentionally move it roughly while it was on. No reason for it, and why take a chance? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't turn mine off if I'm just moving it short distances. And if I am going farther, I just put it to sleep.

I can't remember the last time I actually shut down my MBP completely.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't turn mine off if I'm just moving it short distances. And if I am going farther, I just put it to sleep.

I can't remember the last time I actually shut down my MBP completely.

Same here. When you close the lid (thereby putting it to sleep), all moving parts stop and the machine uses just enough energy to keep the memory state in-tact. So, there's no worries about moving it - it might as well be turned off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.