OS X Lion Free Upgrade for Mid 2011 iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, 12gig RAM 500 gig HD, iPhone 4 32 gig, iPod Shuffle
So i just bought an iMac brand new this week. I am being told that for those of us with Mid 2011 iMac we get OS X Lion upgrade for free when it comes out. Has anyone else heard about this. My sources have said they have heard that yet they have no information about how this will happen.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
"The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request."

not sure how to request the upgrade but I would assume call apple?

Source

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
not sure how to request the upgrade but I would assume call apple?

It's handled right there in the Apple store when you make the purchase - same as the rebate program. The sales person enters it in the data base and you're on the list.

Reaction score
It's handled right there in the Apple store when you make the purchase - same as the rebate program. The sales person enters it in the data base and you're on the list.

What if I bought it at bestbuy today?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What if I bought it at bestbuy today?

Then do like member thurstmw suggested and contact Apple.

Reaction score
Bought 2011 iMac in mid May

It seems that the Lion 'Up to Date' program doesn't extend to those people who bought a new 2011 iMac before June 6th.

I ordered my 2011 iMac online from Apple in mid May just after the new model was released onto the apple store.

In being an early adopter I am being punished for not waiting for 3 more weeks. So, it looks like Apple are prepared to give Lion as a free upgrade to some people who bought the new 2011 iMac but not others, which seems a bit daft!

Is it just me who thinks this is strange or indeed wrong?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Every software developer has to make some decision as to how far back they're going to give "free" upgrades. And some portion of those from prior to the date chosen are going to feel left out. Sorry, but nothing new here. Just be thankful it isn't windows and it's not going to cost you $200 to get that upgrade.

Reaction score
Mmmm

Given that the 2011 iMac was a major release that hosts Lion it still seems silly to me that you would not cover the whole of that product.

I can understand Apple not extending to previous versions of iMac but to not cover those purchasers for the sake of a few weeks seems a bit odd.

The cynical side of me feels that Apple thinks that early adopters are more likely to just stump up the cash.

I vaguely remember something like this happening with a previous version of iOS. The early buyers of the iPhone that year got into a stink because Apple had drawn some arbitrary line in the sand and left them off the free upgrade path.

From memory there was enough of a huff that Apple relented and included all buyers of that model iPhone.

This seems like a similar situation to me, though I don't see anybody in a huff except me.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Given that the 2011 iMac was a major release that hosts Lion it still seems silly to me that you would not cover the whole of that product.

I can understand Apple not extending to previous versions of iMac but to not cover those purchasers for the sake of a few weeks seems a bit odd.

The cynical side of me feels that Apple thinks that early adopters are more likely to just stump up the cash.

I vaguely remember something like this happening with a previous version of iOS. The early buyers of the iPhone that year got into a stink because Apple had drawn some arbitrary line in the sand and left them off the free upgrade path.

From memory there was enough of a huff that Apple relented and included all buyers of that model iPhone.

This seems like a similar situation to me, though I don't see anybody in a huff except me.

If it was a $300 OS upgrade - you might see more - but since it's only $29 and that covers all your machines - it's not even worth the energy to decide whether or not to be in a huff. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Every software developer has to make some decision as to how far back they're going to give "free" upgrades. And some portion of those from prior to the date chosen are going to feel left out. Sorry, but nothing new here. Just be thankful it isn't windows and it's not going to cost you $200 to get that upgrade.
Yep, but the commonality tends to be release date. It's VERY rare that you'll get a free upgrade for an unannounced product (at point of purchase)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There has to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere otherwise looking for a free upgrade for 2007 Mac Pro!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.