• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iCloud Communications Sues Apple Over iCloud Trademark

Reaction score
Oh, nonsense! Anything with "i" on the front looks inherently Apple, anyway... In a sense, it's their own fault for choosing that name!

The only service I can think of with a name like that which people know isn't Apple-owned is the BBC iPlayer, and I'm fairly sure that was the first online service with that sort of name, so they beat Apple to the punch there! :p

Besides, Apple & the BBC are in bed together anyway ;)

Reaction score
I don't know. On the one hand, your point abides that Apple pretty much owns the "i" prefix, but at the same time, that wasn't always the case. I remember the craze in the 90s and early 2000s to name everything "i" and it seems a little disingenuous to imply that any company should change its name because Apple decides it wants to steal it, or is at fault for selecting a name that Apple might, some day, choose to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Damaging to the company?? Funny, besides Apple's iCloud service, I've never heard of iCloud Communications....if anything, it's putting them in the spotlight...possibly in a negative way.

Reaction score
It's like a Mom and Pop store going up against Walmart. To be honest, they (iCloud Comm) probably won't win this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Um, there's not much Apple can do if the name is already trademarked and owned. It doesn't matter how much people associate a lower case "i" with Apple. Law is law, and Apple is not beyond that as such. If I had to guess, I'd say that Apple will try and settle out of court and possibly purchase the name, at the very least.

Doug

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Oh, nonsense! Anything with "i" on the front looks inherently Apple, anyway... In a sense, it's their own fault for choosing that name!

The only service I can think of with a name like that which people know isn't Apple-owned is the BBC iPlayer, and I'm fairly sure that was the first online service with that sort of name, so they beat Apple to the punch there! :p

Besides, Apple & the BBC are in bed together anyway ;)

Hyundai the Korean car makers have their own models all prefixed 'í'-'

Wonder if they have iPod connectors on the dash...;D

Reaction score
Damaging to the company?? Funny, besides Apple's iCloud service, I've never heard of iCloud Communications....if anything, it's putting them in the spotlight...possibly in a negative way.

Just because you never heard of them is irrelevant. Maybe you're not their primary target audience. For all we know, in spite of offering the token program for residential use, they could be a power player in the business world, quietly operating behind the scenes, the hidden foundation to other companies' visible high rises. We just don't know enough to make a determination either way.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I suspect this will be settled quickly and quietly, just as it was when Cisco went after Apple over their use of the iPhone name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
In some way, it doesn`t matter what court rules are, since Apple partially released ICloud, they won`t change the name and will do whatever it takes to get the right to use ICloud, at least that`s what I`d do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
In some way, it doesn`t matter what court rules are, since Apple partially released ICloud, they won`t change the name and will do whatever it takes to get the right to use ICloud, at least that`s what I`d do.

But it actually does matter, and it matter's what iCloud Communications decides to do. If they don't budge, and the judge rules in their favor (which is most likely), Apple would have no choice but to change the name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a feeling it will come down to whether or not each company has the right to the holdings of the "i" and the "cloud" part of their name. As others reports have said,iCloud Communications has nothing to do with "cloud" storage, and is only a name. Just because they have a patent for the name, doesn't mean it can't be turned around.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I suspect this will be settled quickly and quietly, just as it was when Cisco went after Apple over their use of the iPhone name.

Yeah...if iCloud Communications is found to be in the right legally...nothing like a nice BIG FAT check $$$ from Apple to "smooth" things out!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
I totally agree with you pigoo3, Apple won`t let go the name ICloud that easy, they will do offers and agreements with the before the judge suspects! and don`t know about you guys, I love the name Icloud, sounds good! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Storage is only one form of cloud computing. VOIP, which iCloud Communications specializes in, is another.

Where did you get that info from? VOIP has nothing to do with cloud computing. If it did have something to do with cloud computing, then it would mean that all microsoft, apple, skype, and etc., were dealing with the cloud when speaking to other people through the internet. Cloud computing is referred to as an off site center(off network) of mass data/file storage where clients can have access to that data. A cloud provider can have voip as an option, but that's a completely separate service. iCloud Communications doesn't even have real cloud computing features! VOIP is VOIP! The only reason I can come up with as to why communications company used the term iCloud is for their backup redundancy.

If I'm wrong, I would love to hear it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Cloud computing is referred to as an off site center(off network) of mass data/file storage where clients can have access to that data.
Not quite. Cloud computing is simply the use of off site resources to do work that would otherwise be done by your local machine including storage. As you can see, the meaning of the term is rather elastic. I suspect the issue at hand in this court case will (partly) be to determine whether or not both are cloud resources.

Reaction score
If I'm wrong, I would love to hear it.

If you Google "cloud computing," the very first link brings you to a wiki article with a definition in its very first sentence.

Cloud computing is a model for enabling convenient, on-demand access to a shared pool of computing resources (e.g. networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) accessible via a computer network.

I'll grant that Skype and Yahoo and others use local front-ends, but the back end of what they do happens off site, with transmissions going through "the cloud" as it were.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Not quite. Cloud computing is simply the use of off site resources to do work that would otherwise be done by your local machine including storage.
How was I wrong? o_O I didn't know I was suppose to recite the dictionary.

If you Google "cloud computing," the very first link brings you to a wiki article with a definition in its very first sentence.
I'll grant that Skype and Yahoo and others use local front-ends, but the back end of what they do happens off site, with transmissions going through "the cloud" as it were.

Services could mean anything else that's not listed.
Just because you provide online service does not mean it's automatically referred to as a cloud. It has similar characteristics, but it's not the same. If this statement were true, then we wouldn't have jumped on board with this "cloud" theme just recently, it would have happened when telephone companies were first able to store your info at their own facilities. The "services" they provide you gives you the ability to use voip. This has already existed in other cloud companies that also offer voip.

And why does everyone automatically list wiki as a reliable source? Take 2 extra seconds to look at the other sites and you would have noticed these:

What cloud computing really means | Cloud Computing - InfoWorld
Cloud Computing | Productivity Tools | Cloud Hosting | Microsoft Cloud
IBM Cloud Computing - United States
Cloud Computing Expo
HowStuffWorks "How Cloud Computing Works"

I don't know, I guess I just view it differently

Reaction score
How was I wrong? o_O I didn't know I was suppose to recite the dictionary.

If you're going to argue about definitions, citing the dictionary would make some sense ;)

Services could mean anything else that's not listed.
Just because you provide online service does not mean it's automatically referred to as a cloud. It has similar characteristics, but it's not the same. If this statement were true, then we wouldn't have jumped on board with this "cloud" theme just recently, it would have happened when telephone companies were first able to store your info at their own facilities. The "services" they provide you gives you the ability to use voip. This has already existed in other cloud companies that also offer voip.

And why does everyone automatically list wiki as a reliable source? Take 2 extra seconds to look at the other sites and you would have noticed these:

What cloud computing really means | Cloud Computing - InfoWorld
Cloud Computing | Productivity Tools | Cloud Hosting | Microsoft Cloud
IBM Cloud Computing - United States
Cloud Computing Expo
HowStuffWorks "How Cloud Computing Works"

I just looked through your links and saw nothing to contradict the Wiki article. Rather the opposite, actually.

I don't know, I guess I just view it differently

No worries. That's been known to happen from time to time. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.