Black macbook hard drive replacement

Reaction score
I just replaced the original hd on my macbook with a western digital hd. The original had died so I ordered an upgrade on amazon. I have replaced the hard drive and I am still getting a white screen when I boot up. Also, there is a mac os x snow leopard disc stuck in the disc drive that wont eject no matter what I do.

thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't give us much to go on....

With the old hard drive in the machine, did it give you a white screen upon boot up? Or did this just occur when you replaced the hard drive?

The SL disk will eject OK once you can get the machine to boot. Does the machine boot without the hard drive and just the SL disk inserted. In other words, boot from the disk?

OP
B
Reaction score
with the original HD in place I got a blue screen but it wouldnt boot past that and the hd wasnt making any of the usual machinery sounds. I am trying to boot from disc now, it seems to be working...I've now got the apple on screen and the "processing" circle...we'll see if it gets me past that

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once you get it to boot with the Snow Leopard disk, go to Disk Utilities from the top menu, "Utilities". Then see if the new hard drive is showing up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's a good sign. Now try to format it... use Mac OS Extended Journal and at the same time name the drive "MacIntosh HD". (you can change that later if you wish)

If all that goes well, install Snow Leopard on the new hard drive or restore from your Time Machine backup (if you have one).

OP
B
Reaction score
great thanks! My time machine back up is from the original hd which had os x 10.4 on it, will that be an issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try it. There might be an issue with some of the application files, however, the system files and kexts will not be overwritten. You might also want to think about doing a clean install and start over. Of course that means reinstalling applications which can be a headache.

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE! similar problem

The original hdd in my late 09 macbook pro died on me recently so I replaced it with a 320gb western digital hd. The installation was simple enough, but nothing had changed with the computer's recognition of the hd. I've booted it up from the osx installation to try to start reinstalling everything, but the new hdd doesn't even show up in disk utility and it doesn't show up on the installation menu. All that shows up in disk utility is the install disk. I've been trying all day to make it work to no avail & I just can't figure out what the problem is. I don't think the disk has been formatted because I don't see anyway to catalyze formatting. I've been searching forums all day for help and I'm lost & frustrated. Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original hdd in my late 09 macbook pro died on me recently so I replaced it with a 320gb western digital hd. The installation was simple enough, but nothing had changed with the computer's recognition of the hd.

What indication did you receive that told you the old hard drive had died? Were you able to see the old drive from Disk Utility? It sounds like from your description above that the old drive was likewise not recognized.

That could indicate a bad data cable between the hard drive connector and the logic board - especially if the new drive is acting the same way, that is, it can not be seen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.