• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

We didn't have the "Green" thing back in my day.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a hankerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap .

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then .

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for that Bob!:)

Yes...in the old days some things may not have been as "green" or as environmentally friendly...but there were a TON of things that were a lot LESS wasteful (like was mentioned in your post).

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My dad sent that to me in an e-mail recently. Wonder how many people are willing to be that green.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I remember most of those and sadly will still take my amp hungry central air over the attic fan and centrally located gas grate heater any day.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One of my sister's still has the imprint of our centrally located gas grate floor heater on the bottom of her foot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
That was a great article.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

Hes obviously a rubbish clerk - a good one knows when to keep their mouth shut.

I probably would have been disciplined for saying that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Kids these days are rude. Enjoy the heat smart-alec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Let's not forget that they are also the ones who led the charge to the way we do things now because all that was a pain in the rear. The soda companies don't want to recycle glass bottles anymore… it's cheaper to just make 'em plastic and toss 'em. Let someone else recycle those if they want. Never mind how germophobic people are today. People are inherently lazy and shortsighted. Maybe not lazy, but humans and creatures alike all favor the easy way out, consequences be ****ed. This is never going to change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That's just nostalgia putting a shine on the past. Don't forget that back in the day, DDT was the repellent of choice
ddt-long-isl-1945.jpg

-Asbestos was used for car brakes, and insulation
woman-filtering-asbestos-into.jpg

-Oil drilling everywhere (this is the Venice Oil Fields in Southern California back in the day)
1285103003_Venice_oil_fields2.jpg

-Gas was leaded and there was no such thing as catalytic converters
los-angeles-smog_53499058.jpg

Electronics were power hungry too. I bet that 1 TV and the lights in the house took as much power as all the TV's and Monitors in my house currently (Well maybe not the 60")

The article made some very valid points, there was plenty back in the day that was good and green, but lets not forget all the nastiness too.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was going to say what Ivan noted - my generation (define "this generation") may do things a little differently but both treated the environment with disregard. I don't see this as a generational thing but rather as a set of cultural beliefs regarding the environment (mainly that it is ours to do with as we please) that haven't really changed since the Industrial Revolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What is greener by todays standards is housing its more insulated or at least they are
insulated as compared to yesteryear and automobiles get far better gas mileage while home electronics offer more with less consumption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
"Didn't have the Green thing back in the day." Two subjects:
Meat
Transportation
Those two things are worse for the environment tenfold over everything mentioned above, they did nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
"Didn't have the Green thing back in the day..." translates, to me at least, as they just hadn't realized that there was a terribly profitable market to be had in labeling items as green and selling green policy and lifestyle to consumers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good one bobtomay

A lot of us are trying to be green these days but back then things were like that for a different reason, as I am sure you know.

People didn't have money to waste, so a TV had to last 15 years, a car 10 years and a pen could outlive you.

I remember always being told to turn off lights and switch off things when not in use, not because by parents were eco pioneers, but as mum says "you can keep all the lights on when you are paying the bills". Its something I still do today - most of the time.

But as energy prices are now only going to go higher - then the old ways may return, and even those who deny global warming will need to preserve energy, because its going to get more precious.

It goes to show how much, most of us, have now compared to our parents - if we can afford to waste so much stuff. My parents were not poor, and provided well for me, but every penny counted and it was always clear to me that presents had been saved up for all year, and I suppose that made them seem just a little bit more special.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
People didn't have money to waste, so a TV had to last 15 years, a car 10 years and a pen could outlive you.
I guess this depends on when "back in my day" was (something that hasn't been defined here). If we're talking post-WW2 up through the 1960s, this isn't quite true. People were very comfortable financially during the economic boom post-WW2 in a significant part of the west (see here). If we're talking the 1980s, not so much (see here). ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I seem to recall a thread similar to this some time back that ended badly. This one is heading that way already. My advice? Play friendly and don't be pushy about your views, they are yours, not the worlds. Pushing them on others will just make this end badly.

Reaction score
While it's true that previous generations were less wasteful in some ways, it's also undeniable that Baby Boomers have enjoyed amazing living conditions and now the younger generations have to pay for their retirement in an abysmal job market.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.