Considering an Ipad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've done some research, but I still got a few questions for people who actually own an Ipad. I'm deciding between it or a netbook.

It's very much a play device, and I intend to carry it with me everywhere as a personal tool. That is VERY appealing. I understand it does work as well, but how much work?

I intend to use it for school (I mean everywhere ;D), but I have some programming classes. Is there programming apps for the Ipad? I will get a keyboard dock for typing.

I will also get a USB adapter. With that, would it possible to transfer files inbetween the ipad and the school computers? There might be an instance where I have to transfer work to a windows or linux OS :Oops: Would it be situation similiar just like with a Macbook for instance?

I don't mind not having flash, there's apps for youtube and etc.

Please, if there is any other issues that I could be overseeing?

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

lespaulguy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
LesPaulGuy,

I don't program so not sure about its capabilities for that. For classwork it will work fine. As far as I know, there is no usb adapter you can use to transfer files. I transfer files by saving them to my storage space online. Or emailing the files. You would run into problems anyway trying to transfer files from IOS to windows or linux depending on what they are since those other systems would not be able to read IOS and IOS would not be able to read them.
You would be better off with a Macbook or MacBook Pro.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For all intents and purposes look at the iPad as a large iPod Touch/iPhone running iOS. So whatever limitations you have there, you'll have with the iPad.

So as far as programming goes, you can write your code in some app, but not much beyond that. You'll need to copy that over to a Mac running the compilers to compile the code..

The iPad is going to be great at note taking, emailing, general web browsing and gaming..

OP
L
Reaction score
Is it possible to access a mac desktop through the ipad? Then I could do all the programming/etc. I need there....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Is it possible to access a mac desktop through the ipad? Then I could do all the programming/etc. I need there....

There are many apps that allow you to access your computer from an iPad. I use logmein ignition.

OP
L
Reaction score
Alright then, I can program and other various tasks with my ipad via my desktop.

Can't believe I didn't think of that before. :Oops: Thanks all who contributed to my thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.