Time Machine and FireWire 800 compared to eSata and USB 2

Reaction score
I have an external HD LaCie Quadra D2 for BU with Time Machine and FireWire 800. I am going to use a second external HD for storing my pictures my Aperture and Lightroom Libraries.

Is it ok to switch TM to either USB 2 or eSata and which one is preferable.

So TM will take care of my complete iMac Volume except the Aperture and iPhoto Library and my complete Picture folder. The libraries and photo's will stay together on a second external LaCie Quadra HD for which I prefer to use the FW800 connection.

Hans

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will work just fine with either. But it's always best to use the fastest connection possible for backups especially if you have a large amount of data to back up. I would leave it as FW 800. I have my TM backup using FW 800 to an external triple interface HD. (USB 2, FW 400, FW 800)

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'll keep it in mind. When the amount of data corresponding to the mentioned libraries and my pictures exceed the data of my internal drive I can consider switching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Time Machine will work just fine with either. But it's always best to use the fastest connection possible for backups especially if you have a large amount of data to back up. I would leave it as FW 800. I have my TM backup using FW 800 to an external triple interface HD. (USB 2, FW 400, FW 800)

It was my understanding that eSATA would be the fastest... so in theory eSATA>FW800>USB2.0>FW400 (The last two can be debated forever)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.