Expanding Time Capsule

Reaction score
We have 5 Macs that we want to backup to Time Capsule. If I plug an external USB hard drive into TC will this extend the storage capacity for Time Machine?
Are there any configuration changes I need to make, or will the new drive automatically extend the capacity just by plugging it in (it is already formatted as a Mac HD)?

If I get another TC can I direct 2 macs to backup to TC1 and the other 3 to backup to TC2. Just also confirming (I am pretty sure that the answer is yes).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
We have 5 Macs that we want to backup to Time Capsule. If I plug an external USB hard drive into TC will this extend the storage capacity for Time Machine?
Are there any configuration changes I need to make, or will the new drive automatically extend the capacity just by plugging it in (it is already formatted as a Mac HD)?

No, plugging in a new drive will not "combine" the storage. You can use one drive or the other, or perhaps have some of your Macs use one, the rest use the others. ALTHOUGH… I have a better idea (see below)...

If I get another TC can I direct 2 macs to backup to TC1 and the other 3 to backup to TC2. Just also confirming (I am pretty sure that the answer is yes).

Probably. I see no reason why not. But….

Which Time Capsule do you have? If it's the older one with the 500MB or 1 TB drive, and you feel daring, you can actually replace the drive with something bigger. I replaced my 500 MB drive with a 1.5 TB Western Digital Green drive, and it worked out great. In fact, if you plan this out in advance, I've read you can partition it beforehand, then use one partition for something else. I'm seriously considering repurposing it as a media server. Here's a guide I used… they actually make a strong argument for using the WD Green drives instead of the existing Seagate drive. I've read that you can put as big as the newer 3TB drives in.
Cracking Open the Time Capsule | Applefritter

If you have the newer Time Capsule, then this won't work. The new ones won't recognize all the space on a 3 TB drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.