Opps Time Machine

Reaction score
I was setting up my backup system. I went to make one of my hard drives the time machine drive and clicked and almost formatted it. I stopped it be for it was able to start formatting. However now the hard drive is saying it is empty and full at the same time and there is no appearance of any files on the drive.

Also a deep scan reads them how ever not sure how to access them. (they are large raw files)

Do I take it to mac or to a different type of repair person?

Thanks Brenda

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What probably happened... as it started to format and you stopped it, but it was too late as it probably already overwrote the partition map. That's why although the files are there, you can't access them.

You're going to need recovery software. The best IMO is Data Rescue 3. Not inexpensive, but well worth the price if you value your files. You can download their trial version first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.