Wireless Second Monitor question

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently using a Mac Pro and would like to add a second monitor wirelessly so that I can have use of the computer in a room in another part of the house. I have a crazy neighbor that loves his music, so when it comes on, I'd like to just pop to a different room where a wireless monitor, keyboard and mouse reside and work from there until he's done with his dance party.

Does anyone know...

1. Can I set up a monitor wirelessly, and at about 40 ft away from the computer?

2. Can I use this monitor independent of the monitor that is currently hooked up to the Mac Pro?

3. What equipment is involved?

I thank you in advance for any assistance or advice on how to make this wireless 2nd office happen!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope you have a pocketful of $$$$..... Here's a wireless monitor that has been introduced by Samsung: LINK

Keep in mind how much bandwidth is needed for wireless signals carrying video (RGB+I) and audio.

In short, your idea is just not practical. Yet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Just get a box of ear plugs.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ramimac1 - you may be on to something. I just chatted with them, and IF my monitor is DVI-D compatible, I can buy two new cords to go with that Wireless Extender. As well, an adaptor cable is needed going out of the mini dvi port in the back of the Mac Pro, (DVI to HDMI) to the Wireless Extender.

I am still trying to figure out any other ways to do this.

If I can just do this wired, is there a 40 ft cable that will go straight from my mac pro to the second monitor? and do I need an adaptor on the mac pro to use a second monitor?

(thanks Mini-mi - I've tried all the ear plugs on the market. Bass travels well.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I can just do this wired, is there a 40 ft cable that will go straight from my mac pro to the second monitor? and do I need an adaptor on the mac pro to use a second monitor?

You can probably find one that length or have it custom made for you. Prepare to pay.... :) As an example: We needed an 80 foot video cable to go from a Windows presentation computer to a projector mounted from the ceiling of an auditorium. The cable was special ordered (low loss) at the cost of over $100. Low loss video or data cables are not inexpensive.

OP
T
Reaction score
got it. well, even at $100 the cost would be lower than the HDMI extender and cables.

Would I need some sort of adaptor on the Mac Pro in order to attach the long cable? I can't see the back of my Mac right now, but am guessing there's just the one DVI out. ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll likely need a mini display port (I believe that's what the Pro uses) adapter to the video data cable. Always go digital not analog, so that means a DVI cable not VGA.

OP
T
Reaction score
ah, so I'd get an adapter that connects like this - Mini Display Port adapter with DVI end ---> DVI cable ---> Second monitor. ?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest before you get too deep into the video aspect and before you spend any money, especially if you're willing to go wired for the video, you should verify you can get a wireless keyboard and mouse to work from the location in question.

OP
T
Reaction score
excellent point. I have determined that the mouse will work at just under 30 ft. I don't yet have a wireless keyboard to test with.

Reaction score
Solution (if you haven't already found one...)

ah, so I'd get an adapter that connects like this - Mini Display Port adapter with DVI end ---> DVI cable ---> Second monitor. ?

This cool little guy
and this guy(except mine's 6')
Are what I've been for the last year and actually at this moment :D

For you solution, you'll probably want one of the 40'-50' cords down towards the bottom of this page. The one I got has a "ferrite" core

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
+1 for skeeer's idea...

i have "This cool little guy" in his post..
and my "this guy" is 25 feet.it doesnt have any apparent draw backs.. other than the video i push to the tv is grainy sometimes.. probably because its from hulu online shop is less res than the tv.. idk..
the audio going across is a key thing which I'm sure you wise folks already looked into..

I'm amazed that there is a way to push video wirelessly..

Reaction score
air display

Get the air display app if you have a tablet of any type. You will still need a wireless keyboard but the tablet will became a wireless touchscreen monitor. $10 for an android tablet, I think $20 for an iPad. Much cheaper than most alternatives, and also much more portable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.