Internet is always going on and off with my MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
I just recently got back from college. In my dorm room, I used an ethernet cable to connect to the internet and I didn't have any problems connecting the whole year. When I got home, I found that my laptop was having trouble connecting wirelessly to the router in my house. Our big Dell Computer that my parents use has no problems connecting whatsoever, but my Macbook for some reason does.

My MacBook will connect to the internet and then, ranging from about 30 seconds to 20 minutes later, it will all of a sudden disconnect. It will say the usual “you are not connected to the internet” and then give me the “network diagnostics” button. I’ll click network diagnostics, then choose “airport”, and then select the wireless network that our router uses (2WIRE980). It will say “Do you use a DSL or modem to connect to the internet?” Then I will click yes, and it goes through all of those steps which i answer correctly. And then finally it says “Please restart the device. When it is done restarting, click continue. If you do not know how to restart the device, please consult the device’s manual.” I also noticed that if I hold click and hold for about 5 seconds on the "2WIRE980" network, it will go to the next page which requires me to type in the WEP password to my wireless network in order to connect. I have typed in my password about a thousand times, and I shouldn't have to do this. I have tried restarting my computer a bunch of times, and even restarted the router a couple of times, but it just keeps going on and off all the time.

My IP address is 192.168.1.**
My Subnett Mask is 255.255.255.0
My Router is 192.168.1.***

My IP Address and router are a little bit different. I don’t know if this means anything but when i tried to change the IP Address to the same as the router, it says, “Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP Address.”

Anybody know how I can just get my internet to connect strong at all times?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your issue is using WEP encryption. Many Macs have issues with it. This is a good thing as your next door neighbor's 10 year old can crack it in about 1 minute.

Change the encryption to WPA/WPA2.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You reset the encryption method from your Router. Dig out your router manual and read how to access it from your browser. Once you're in the router menu, look for wireless settings. You'll see settings for selecting the channel, and also for securing the connection. Select WPA2 and type in a password or phrase. Make sure you're also broadcasting the name of your network. Then from your MacBook, select your network, select connect, type in the password, and you should be good to go.

Also, you can not use the same IP address for both the router and the network as that's not going to work. Just make sure you select DHCP in your airport settings for wireless and the IP address will be assigned automatically.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And do not double post. Your question has been answered above. Always reply back to the same thread, do not start a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
how exactly do i do that...i have no idea

All you have to do is type in the router ip address into the address bar in your browser. I believe you typed it above.

oddly I dont know how to do this on a mac, but walk over to your parents dell that is having no problem (Probably the best way anyway, since yours is having problems staying connected)

Click start>run>Type "cmd" (enter)

When the command prompt comes up type in "ipconfig" There it should list a bunch of ip address, copy the gateway into the address bar.

Judging by the fact that you are using such simple encryption, I am going to guess you probably also never changed the admin password, which in that case the password to access the router is still "admin"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have the same problem in my house. I have a 2Wire wireless modem from AT&T. I have tried every single encryption method, and they all give me the same problem. It disconnects countless times...just did it 10 seconds ago!... I only have this problem when I'm at home. The weird thing is that AT&T is one of the 2 major isp's in my neighborhood, and I have 2 friends who also have a 2wire modem, no macs, and still have internet problems associated with it disconnecting randomly. I can't even do anything about it because there's no other reliable isp. I have learned to move away from the computer when this problem comes up...relax.

To EPIC MEAL TIME,
To get into your modem settings, simply type "gateway.2wire.net" into your web browser. Then, click on "Home Network" on the top tabs. You will see a gray box that is titled "Status at a Glance." In it, click the edit settings on the wireless network. Depending on your security, you might have to enter a password to enter the settings. After the password is entered, you will get a new window that says "Configure the Wireless Network." Below it, you will find a "Wireless Security." Change the authentication to which ever you want besides the WEP one's. For simplicity, choose the "use default encryption key," which is the key found under the modem(sticker). Then just save and exit.

It's worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the same problem in my house. I have a 2Wire wireless modem from AT&T. I have tried every single encryption method, and they all give me the same problem. It disconnects countless times...just did it 10 seconds ago!... I only have this problem when I'm at home. The weird thing is that AT&T is one of the 2 major isp's in my neighborhood, and I have 2 friends who also have a 2wire modem, no macs, and still have internet problems associated with it disconnecting randomly. I can't even do anything about it because there's no other reliable isp. I have learned to move away from the computer when this problem comes up...relax.

To EPIC MEAL TIME,
To get into your modem settings, simply type "gateway.2wire.net" into your web browser. Then, click on "Home Network" on the top tabs. You will see a gray box that is titled "Status at a Glance." In it, click the edit settings on the wireless network. Depending on your security, you might have to enter a password to enter the settings. After the password is entered, you will get a new window that says "Configure the Wireless Network." Below it, you will find a "Wireless Security." Change the authentication to which ever you want besides the WEP one's. For simplicity, choose the "use default encryption key," which is the key found under the modem(sticker). Then just save and exit.

It's worth a try.

Quick question, have you tried getting just a regular modem from ATT and using a 3rd party wireless router? Come to think of it, I used to have ATT at my old apartment, and when I would use my laptop (a pc) and playing online with my PS3 for whatever reason, both couldn't be on the network at the same time... when one connected the other disconnect. I know its an extra 50 bucks or so for the equipment, but to me, it might be worth the money to avoid the frustration. I have an older model lynksis a/b/g in my house now. Works flawlessly, with all three computers, PS3 and desktops connect at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Quick question, have you tried getting just a regular modem from ATT and using a 3rd party wireless router? Come to think of it, I used to have ATT at my old apartment, and when I would use my laptop (a pc) and playing online with my PS3 for whatever reason, both couldn't be on the network at the same time... when one connected the other disconnect. I know its an extra 50 bucks or so for the equipment, but to me, it might be worth the money to avoid the frustration. I have an older model lynksis a/b/g in my house now. Works flawlessly, with all three computers, PS3 and desktops connect at the same time.

The thought has crossed my mind, but the problem is that ATT wanted us to pay 299 +tax +MANDATORY installation fee, and you still have a crappy modem that, according to them, doesn't support wireless N routers. Not happening! You can buy great modem/routers for that price. The modem modem isn't 2wire, and I do suspect 2wire to be the main problem, but I'm not really sure enough to fork over that much money, on a problem that doesn't have a definite fix. What's your modem's make/model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have Uverse which uses 2Wire RG3800 but I use an Airport Extreme because of issues with disconnects in the past since doing this all my issues with wireless are gone at least for the time being. I have also seen clients running several combinations
of computers and hand held with no problems so its not something you can easily put your finger on. The one thing I noticed even if you select a channel manually with 2Wire if you reboot or it gets a firmware upgrade it will default to auto which seems to play havoc if you have several devices in the home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have Uverse which uses 2Wire RG3800 but I use an Airport Extreme because of issues with disconnects in the past since doing this all my issues with wireless are gone at least for the time being. I have also seen clients running several combinations
of computers and hand held with no problems so its not something you can easily put your finger on. The one thing I noticed even if you select a channel manually with 2Wire if you reboot or it gets a firmware upgrade it will default to auto which seems to play havoc if you have several devices in the home.

So, you just connected the extreme to the 2wire via ethernet? Did you disable the wireless on the 2wire? Do you think it will work with other n-ruters? It's worth the try in my opinion. I can test one from bestbuy, and if it doesn't work, I can return it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not sure about their other routers but the 3800 I can put my AEBS in the DMZ or I can set it up in bridge mode which just makes it an overglorified wireless switch either way it will work and yes I disabled the wireless in the 3800 as the new extreme
has dual simultaneous radios and does a better job of it. Note if you set up AEBS in bridge mode occasionally it will try and hand out the same ip for both MBP and AEBS which is resolved by re-new lease it happens but not often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thought has crossed my mind, but the problem is that ATT wanted us to pay 299 +tax +MANDATORY installation fee, and you still have a crappy modem that, according to them, doesn't support wireless N routers. Not happening! You can buy great modem/routers for that price. The modem modem isn't 2wire, and I do suspect 2wire to be the main problem, but I'm not really sure enough to fork over that much money, on a problem that doesn't have a definite fix. What's your modem's make/model?

I now longer have my ATT setup, so all the parts are no longer in my possession.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Have you guys gotten the new airport update? For some reason, my network has yet to come down! I wonder if this new update had something to do with it? This is not normal, but I'm happy today!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you guys gotten the new airport update? For some reason, my network has yet to come down! I wonder if this new update had something to do with it? This is not normal, but I'm happy today!

I have had Zero issues here but did install the new Airport Update today. Figured it can not hurt! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have had Zero issues here but did install the new Airport Update today. Figured it can not hurt! :D

hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhaha....frikin love the avatar! Gotta save your cat from the aliens too!!

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my 13" Macbook; I've been using WPA2 encryption, but the networks keeps dropping out all the time. Sometimes switching airport on and off several times fixes it, other times I have to restart the computer or resign myself to the fact it's just not going to work today.

I've been told it could be the airport card on the way out; so that's the next port of call. Tried resetting the router, trying a different router and changing the channel of the router. I give in. It's officially doing my head in.

Reaction score
same problem

I am having the same problem with my MacBookPro and my internet is running off of WPA2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.