Time Capsule reset itself - no longer access to backup

Reaction score
I have a problem which just came up. I currently have an electrician working on my panel. He was only supposed to be changing breakers for a spare bedroom, but apparently the labels are mis-labeled so he shut power on then off a few times to my master bedroom which is where my Time Capsule/router was plugged in. So my Time Capsule was turned off, then back on, then while booting up, turned off again, etc....you get the idea.

After the 3rd time or so I realized I no longer had internet and realized what was happening so moved my Time Capsule to a different/safe plug in. The problem I have is that the Time Capsule would boot up, but then wouldn't output the wireless signal that I had previously set up and have been using for 6+ months. I tried restarting it a few times by unplugging it and plugging it back in. On the 3rd try the Time Capsule started putting out a wireless signal again but it wasn't the one that I had set up - it was the default "Apple fb04f4" or whatever the number was. My initial thought was, ok, it's gone and done a hard reset. So I went into Airport Utility and re-setup my wireless signal - and that works fine.

My problem now is: I didn't give my Time Capsule the exact same name as I did previously. The way it is currently set up I see I have 700GB's free of the 2TB Time Capsule so my backups are still on there, but I'm not sure how to access them anymore. I don't really need the backups but am more concerned with freeing up the now tied up space on my Time Capsule.

So my question is, how can I do a hard-reset of the Time Capsule to clear the harddrive?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Airport Utility - Manual Setup - Disks - select the disk if it's not already - Erase...

Or

Open up Finder - select your Time Capsule under Shared - open the folder in the right pane - right click anything that's there that you want to delete - select Move to trash

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok but it's not that easy.

Let say when I initially set up the Time Capsule 6 months ago I named it "Tim's Time Capsule". I have been saving my backup's on it for the past 6 months.

Today when it reset it self, I called it "Timothy's Time Capsule". Now I have access to Timothy's Time Capsule and the Data folders under that name. Under Finder I can see the first "Tim's Time Capsule" but when I try to connect to it, it says there is an error or that it cannot be found - yet the original 1TB of backups are still tied up on the Time Capsule.

So how do I go about doing a complete erase of the drive and setting it up as new again?

OP
N
Reaction score
UPDATE - I think I figured it out. I just renamed the Time Capsule to the original name and it allowed me to access the original data. Fixed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is that easy to erase if you do it from Airport Utility.

That's a much better solution though, getting all your previous backups back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.