Safari or Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Mac OS Xn10.6.6 Intel core i3
Running OS X 10.6.7 When I use Moz FF which is most of the time because I came from PC back around Christmas I can go to a site which has user name and or password to gain access I can usually click or double click on blank line to autofill in to enter.
I can`t get Safari to retain these names and words to gain entry.I must be doing something wrong because its so simple with FF that I can`t believe Safari does not have similar feature.Keychain seems such a hassle if I am trying to use it. Must be easier method.
Thanks

golferstan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whatever turns you on I guess.

Personally like FF4 over Safari but choosing remember seems to work with Safari.

Reaction score
I was a long time FF user, but switched to Safari around the time FF4's beta came out. I didn't like many of the changes being made -- like the elimination of the status bar -- nor was I terribly pleased by how long it took for my favorite extensions to be updated. I find Safari to be a LOT faster, even in its extended form.

What I do miss is how FF let you put RSS feeds into a toolbar so you could click on, say, Ars Technica, and see a list of current articles.

Reaction score
Definitely Firefox. More Addons, faster, less beach balling, and overall a better browser. I used Chrome extensively until I switched to Firefox and I've been using that for a few weeks as my main now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
did you open Preferences from the Safari Menu and click on I believe the AutoFil tab? Is remember usernames and passwords all checked?

C

chas_m

It truly, honestly, doesn't matter. Anything FF has as an add-on is either a built-in feature or an available extension in Safari. They are both the same speed, they do the same stuff in much the same way, etc. The 0.01 difference in this operation or that operation is just nerdy BS.

For me, the winning factor with Safari is that they don't issue a new beta every 15 minutes. Once I have the current version, I'm good for a few months. Other than that, there's no really discernible difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I agree, there are hardly any differences between the browsers. It is really up to the user's preferences. I've tried them all. I could never understand how anyone can tell one is faster than the others. With FF, I occasionally get the 32-bit restart, which is annoying. I really like Safari with the Top Sites visual layouts. The other browsers have similar but doesn't look as good. But Safari lacked the occasional plugins to watch videos on some news sites, but not many. I like the simple and clean look of Chrome. It seems to have better compatibility of plugins and I don't encounter the occasional problems like in Safari.

FireFox has a lot of themes and add-ons which I really like, but Safari and Chrome have been getting more of them lately also. I usually switch in between those 3 browsers just to get a different look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
**Double Post**

Reaction score
**Double Post**
Well it depends on what you're doing. If you aren't really "doing" anything and only have a few tabs open like FB, news sites, youtube, etc. then you aren't going to notice any difference. However if you're a power user or have a lot of tabs open, I find that Safari is the worst out of all of them in terms of functionality, customizability, and usability.

I used to use Chrome extensively because of the speed (noticeably faster than the other two) but I have switched to firefox due to the iTunes extension, however now that I have Bowtie I don't really need it; just use it because it's a great, solid browser.

I installed Safari about 2 days ago and used it for a few and ended up getting high CPU usage for no reason and bouncing beach balls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.