Airplay Reveiver vs Airport Express?

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm looking to take advantage of Airplay to stream music to a not-yet-purchased home stereo. Looking at the Airplay receivers from Pioneer and Denon, you either need a WiFi dongle (Pioneer) or you need to have an ethernet cable connection to you network (Pioneer or Denon).

It isn't feasible for me to run an ethernet cable to where the stereo will go, so that leaves the Pioneer as the choice for an Airplay enabled receiver. But can't Airport Express allow me to use airplay to stream music to any receiver plugged into the AE?

If so, what advantages do I have of going with (the narrow range of options for) an Airplay enabled receiver?

Thanks much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If music is all you want to stream the Airport Extreme will do that with any receiver
and bit perfect if you use a toslink connection provided the receiver has an optical input.

OP
B
Reaction score
perfect if you use a toslink connection provided the receiver has an optical input.

OK - could you explain this part of what you said?

Part of the next step, if I go with AE, is to decide on a receiver. I don't 6 HDMI ports. Audio is all I need to handle...so what receiver input and connection method should I be looking for (for audio quality).

I also wonder whether Apple TV could be a better choice with a new receiver (since there should be digital input options)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.