Apple G4

Reaction score
Hi, please could you advise? I've been given an apple (powermac G4)...I think...? I need to get an operating system to get it up & running but I've no idea what I need or how much it might cost? I'm familiar with XP and Windows 7 but not Apple. Please could someone advise? Thank you for your time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're going to need some additional information here. There were a number of machines scattered over quite a time span that fit the general moniker PowerMac G4.

If you can get it to boot, sounds like you can't, you can go to the Apple menu in the far left and choose About This Mac. From there choose "More Info". This will run a program called Apple System Profiler which will give you the information. Post the results and we'll be glad to help.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi 'sly dude'

I've done some research and some hunting & finally discovered which model is my Apple system, I hope the following information helps you and that you might be able to advise me with regard to operating system and/or other software I might need to get the computer up & running as it should:

Power Mac G4 "Quicksilver" M8493

733, dual 800, 867 Mhz
1.5gb of ram (PC 133, 168 pin)
10/100/1000 Ethernet
Harddrive ultra ATA/66 up to a max of 128gb
Optional Original Airport Card Support click here
no bluetooth
2 firewire, 2 usb
special jack for Apple Pro Speakers

I hope you can advise me from this, thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well the 733MHz, the Dual 800MHz and the 867MHz are all different models so it cannot be all three rolled into one. The last operating system the 867 could run is Leopard, and for the other two Tiger OS X.4 and I would look for Tiger full retail install DVD's on auction sites such as eBay etc. Leopard would be pretty slow on the 867 machine.

Note you need the full retail install version which is a black coloured disc. Do not buy a silver/grey system disc as these will work only with the machine they were issued with.

Apple Airport Cards are available through eBay but again make sure you get the correct card as there are Airport and Extreme cards. Do a search of Apple for manuals on setting up and installing software. Just Google Apple manuals.

OP
K
Reaction score
Apple G4 OS

Dear Harryb2448

Thank you for your help. I've done a lot of searching, I can't boot my powermac G4 to identify the processor, however, having done a google search, it would seem to be 99% certain that my particular apple computer has the following processor - 1 GHz PowerPC 7455* (G4) x2. I'm afraid that in my ignorance & uneducated knowledge of the system, this doesn't mean much to me. I think now I just need to know what operating system I need & where I can get one, unless you could kindly advise me on anything else I need to know? I was given the computer, and while I know its old & since discontinued, nonetheless I could never afford to buy one in my lifetime & so I'd like to take advantage.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The highest level operating system you can use is OS X 10.4.11. As Harryb suggested look for the black retail discs rather than the gray ones. You can purchase an earlier version of 10.4 and then download the update to 10.4.11. You cannot purchase older versions before 10.4 and download something that will update those to 10.4.11.

Once you have downloaded and installed some version of OS X 10.4. You can open the System Preferences and run "Software Update" to update the OS.

Once we are able to boot the machine and identify the exact processor and amount of memory involved we will be able to suggest other software that might be useful.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What does the tower case look like? Oval Doors on the DVD drives or Aluminum Square doors?

They say only the later quicksilvers can use over a 128GB drive, but even my 733 works with a 160GB I tried with full size available. Seems most of the early Quicksilvers DO support an over 128GB HDD. I know mine does.

Let us know on the front panel. If it's shiny Aluminum it's a MDD which is a rather good machine still and will run 10.5 Leopard.

OP
K
Reaction score
Apple G4 OS

Hi Dtravis7

Thank you for your message. My system is silver in colour, lika alliminium, the DVD drive door is...like an oval shape, and there are two large apple badges, one on either side of the tower, hope this helps? Thank you again.

OP
K
Reaction score
Fresh install

Please can you advise me? l have an Apple - Power Mac G4, model number M8493, l need to get it up & running but it has no power supply, it needs a 230v l think...? it also needs a hard drive which isn't such a problem bcoz l have a spare hard drive here. But l also need an operating system. l was advised previously that l need 'Tiger 10.4' with the black disc but to my shame l forgot exactly what the advise was. l'm really not familiar with Apple, so any advice to get it up & running would be greatly welcomed & appreciated, and respected. Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads. There really is no need to create new threads on the same topic.

And sorry, but with no power supply and no OS disk, don't even know if the thing will run after spending time and money on it, I'd suggest putting you and the G4 out of misery - a good place for that G4 imho is in the trash can.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi bobtomay, sorry for the late reply...my powermac G4 has actually been running and does indeed power up but all l really need is a replacement power unit and an OS & then l have confidence that it will work fine. l just need to make sure l install the correct OS for the particular model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.