Fans with 6000 rpm

OP
D

dmt

Reaction score
I have MBP15. My fans are allways on 6000 rpm. I am not using many resources and it's still allways between 5500-6000 rpm. Is it normal? What;s wrong with my MBP15 ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Year, model, of the MBP? Fans running at full speed can be caused by several things. Defective temperature sensors or logic board problems. The first thing to do is a SMC reset. See the following LINK.

From the Apple KB:

Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

Please do not double post the same subject. Keep it in one thread as that will make it easier to provide answers. Your threads have been combined.

OP
D

dmt

Reaction score
Year, model, of the MBP? Fans running at full speed can be caused by several things. Defective temperature sensors or logic board problems. The first thing to do is a SMC reset. See the following LINK.

From the Apple KB:

Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

Please do not double post the same subject. Keep it in one thread as that will make it easier to provide answers. Your threads have been combined.

MacBook Pro (Early 2008)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try resetting the SMC as I suggested?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Never did it before.

OK - let me explain how this works.... you present a problem, we reply with suggestions for fixes. You try them and report back as to whether they work. We'll continue this process until the issue is solved. Got it?

Now that we've gotten that down, we need to know if that did the trick. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
how about a screenshot of your Activity Monitor as well?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is nothing there - but you should be highlighting the CPU column in order to see which processes are using the CPU.

But do the SMC reset first.

OP
D

dmt

Reaction score
I did SMC and Now Running New Fresh Installed Lion, but it's the same 6ooo rpm

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're probably going to have it run like that until Spotlight finishes it's indexing.

Fresh install?
Is that a clean install or an upgrade install?

If not a clean install:
It can also be software related. I had a Windows Home Server machine that died a while back. After I installed Lion, my fans were going full blast even after indexing. Went to check the logs and found that the WHS application I had (not compatible with Lion) was launching, not finding the server and then re-launching every 5 seconds. omg... Well, that thing got uninstalled so fast it would make your head spin.

I'd suggest turning off the machine, wait until the fans quit. Restart, immediately open Activity Monitor and watch it to see what's using the CPU when the fans start up again. My clue was that it was kernel task causing the fans to run full bore. Whereupon I opened up Console and checked the logs to find my issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.