New MacBooks, default Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 4th gen, 32GB
Hello guys,

Sorry if someone has previously posted this topic, but I couldnt find it anywhere.

I am planning to buy a 13" MBP 2011 in about 3 months (after I got home. I am in Germany now and MBPs are ridiculously expensive here). So now that Lion is about to come out in July, will the new MacBooks afterwards get the OSX Lion by default, or it would be still in Snow Leopard and we have to upgrade through Mac AppStore?

Thanks before!

Adhirianto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Once it is released, expect a bit of a delay as older stock gets run through (in stores). After that, you should see Lion installed by default. There is a rebate now for those who buy a computer starting June 6 through when Lion is released.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am planning to buy a 13" MBP 2011 in about 3 months (after I got home. I am in Germany now and MBPs are ridiculously expensive here). So now that Lion is about to come out in July, will the new MacBooks afterwards get the OSX Lion by default, or it would be still in Snow Leopard and we have to upgrade through Mac AppStore?

Apple says Lion is going to be released in July. 3 months from now will be September. I think that it will be pretty certain that all new Macintosh computers sold in September (from the Apple Store)...will have Lion installed.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 4th gen, 32GB
Thanks all for the quick answer. That's relieving. I barely can wait actually to buy it. But if it is worth it to wait 'til Lion comes, then I will :)

Two questions though:
1. If i buy it know (means I got the Snow Leopard), then how if later on I want to reformat my MBP or reinstall my OS (say that I have upgraded to Lion)? Lion wont be available in discs, I suppose?
2. Seriously there's a rebate?? Do you know how much and is it only in the Apple store?

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks bob I was looking for that link.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 4th gen, 32GB
Thanks for the link. I appreciate all the answers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.