Reality check: Reflections on switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I am 5 months into the switch now.

Switching from 3 decades of DOS/Windows to Mac was a lot of work, frankly. Lots of planning ahead (worth it), and lots of prowling the net for tips and solutions. Definitely requires change in thinking from Windows to Mac. Several tries to get manual backups organized (necessary supplement to Time Machine). Moderately long workflow learning curve for our photo collection (happy with Aperture now). Windows setup under Parallels was a breeze though.

But it was worth it. Simplified daily experience. More productive because less time fiddling with the computer. I think the Mac experience really is more intuitive, but it helps to know computers. And best: no more rebooting every few days. In fact, no more shutting down end of day and rebooting in the morning. No more long waits for updates to finish, as in Windows. Smooth integration with iPad. Not so smooth with BlackBerry, but will be getting an iPhone. Great integration with home life (Apple TV, family MacBooks). Love the Lion desktops. Parallels 7/Windows 7 working beautifully in coherence with Lion.

Bottom line: it was definitely worth it. Apple, please keep it so.

My question to you would be this: Do you think you had more problems with transitioning because of your 20 years on DOS/Windows, or less?

Sometimes we as a species tend to regress to old habits when faced with new problems so I'm curious to see if you think that any of that sort of regression caused you more problems than a new computer user would have faced.

I ask since in real life (people I know), those with less computer experience actually tend to adapt to a Mac faster than those with more computer experience do.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
My question to you would be this: Do you think you had more problems with transitioning because of your 20 years on DOS/Windows, or less?
More, both because of shifting from Windows habits, and because of reorganizing my pre-Mac digital stuff on the iMac.

Starting out in Mac OS would have been far easier, hence Apple's smart strategy of attracting teens and university students. Our kids started on Windows because I bought for them, which resulted in me running a home tech support operation, but they shifted to Apple when they got their own money, and I haven't had any tech support work from them since. Wife got an iPad and hasn't touched a laptop or desktop since either. Once she gets iOS 5, she won't need a computer to maintain her iPad, which pleases her greatly. So we're a happily switched family.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
7 months and happy as a clam with my iMac, iPad and iPhone. I have to use a Windows XP computer at work and the difference is night and day -- not a fair comparison since not Win7, I know. At home I continue to switch to apps that grew up in Apple's ecosystem: Just switched to 1Password, for example. Added BusyCal which significantly enhanced calendar management. I am completely adjusted to Aperture and much enjoying managing photos the Aperture way. Reduces many manual steps I had to use in my Windows days. I can't imagine working without Lion's multiple desktops. PhotoStream is very handy. iCloud is so smooth I don't even notice it: superb integration between devices.

Best part: iMac is quiet, always on, looks lovely, just works.

Reaction score
I have found this thread very interesting. I am currently running a pc, but have been looking very seriously into switching to mac. Have been into the store and played with the iMacs and think how well everything works together and loved the face recognition in iPhoto for tagging people.

Think this may be the final push I needed to get one of these beautiful machines.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
7 months and happy as a clam with my iMac, iPad and iPhone. I have to use a Windows XP computer at work and the difference is night and day -- not a fair comparison since not Win7, I know. At home I continue to switch to apps that grew up in Apple's ecosystem: Just switched to 1Password, for example. Added BusyCal which significantly enhanced calendar management. I am completely adjusted to Aperture and much enjoying managing photos the Aperture way. Reduces many manual steps I had to use in my Windows days. I can't imagine working without Lion's multiple desktops. PhotoStream is very handy. iCloud is so smooth I don't even notice it: superb integration between devices.Best part: iMac is quiet, always on, looks lovely, just works.

I should also mention how beautifully my two remaining Windows programs work in Convergence mode in Parallels (Quicken and OneNote). It's like they are Any other Apple app on this iMac. I have zero regrets switching.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.