Scary clicking noise (say it isn't so).

Reaction score
Been noticing that when I sit with my new MacBook Pro and I do move, I hear the occational clicking noise. Is this due to the internal hard drive stabilization when moving or a possible failing hard drive ? Any input would be deeply appreciated.

May God bless.

Ed:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Parking of the motion sensor ....don't sweat it, but keep backups anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Mine did that when i got mine and then it started happening more often and the computer started running slow. I took mine to the apple store and they replaced the HD and my new one does not click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
the word 'clicking' is a very general term. Depending on the type of 'clicking' it could be a number of things. Some bad. Most are normal though.
If it happens only when you move the computer then is most likely the sudden motion sensor parking the drive head to protect your data.
It could also just be the heads moving over the HDD.
Or it could be a failing HDD. But keep in mind that machines with moving parts (such as a spinning HDD) will make some noise.
But like 6string said. Do your backups regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If this worries you, download SMARTReporter and let that run. It will advise if the disk is failing.

corecode->SMARTReporter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.