• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Are you an IT professional?

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My Tech experience goes as far as writing code on a Commodore 64bit but then went down hill from there.
Will be going into force retirement soonish, and contemplating looking into IOS but as now im a amateur . . . .

Sorry to hear about the forced retirement . . . hope you are doing okay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sorry to hear about the forced retirement . . . hope you are doing okay

Yea all good thanks Razor . . . . Months of Dr Appt but has me re evaluate my life and what i can do to keep me sane . . . . Not legally allowed to work so will look into IOS development so i can earn a $ and send the money off shore lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Been in IT all my life, but I am not technical at all.
Risk Management is all about common sense -_-
( Don't tell that to my CIO )

Cheers ... McBie

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
From now on a link to this thread will be my answering post to every networking question posted here :) All the IT experts in one place. Check your inboxes folks!! hehe...:p O:)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
would love to work as an IT professional. But for now I have to make do scanning shopping. >.>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I am the IT department at work. I manage all the computers, Mac and Windows and the networks. No certifications, but they are like a college degree, not really necessary. I also get called to fix computers in the area as a side job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I clicked "Yes" even though my day job is not a techie job. BUT, I do free-lance tech work and recently got my CompTIA A+ certification (and will probably take the Security+ test before it changes!)...I'm hoping my freelance work picks up enough that I can quit my day job....I've already got a 5-star average on Yelp. :)

I'm also the DITS at home....that is, "Domestic Internal Technical Support."

Reaction score
Registered ICT Technician (ICTTech MITP) here. I install and fault find on ADSL and VDSL circuits as well as installing and diagnosing home networks, PCs, set top boxes (BT Vision etc).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Been doing Networks since somewhere in the mid 90's and computer tech work since the late 80's. Due to health issues, it's limited sometimes, but it's been otherwise non stop. Really love working with networks though and getting things working. More fun than fighting a lot of Windows issues! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
My answer is yes and no

I am a graphic designer by training and that's my main job

But I have been both part and full time tech support in every company I worked in and now, alongside my main job - maintain the IT infrastructure for our small company.

That means maintaining both macs and 2 pcs, the server (OSX), backups, a dedicated linux web server, the wifi network and day to dat troubleshooting.

So I guess I am a techie by falling into the job, rather than training.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I answered I am a Techie - but there is some qualification. I was an Electronics Engineer, that also managed the Engineering network at my old company (Design and IT at the same time). I got hired into Software sales - so I still manage my own computers (there are a lot of them) but the Software is used to design electronics. (The industry is called Electronic Design Automation, EDA) EDA runs on Linux and Windows - but with Virtual Machines and bootcamp I have shoe-horned Macs into my use model - that means a lot of VM work for my work software, but any office work, and regular computer work I find that the Mac has all I need.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
...ps...I am not an IT professional...in fact...I know very little about real IT. :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
UNIX Systems Administrator - all flavors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 800 Mhz PowerPC, 2 GB ram, 64 Gb SSD, 10.5 OSX • Iphone 4 • Ipad • Apple Tv • iPods :) •
I used to be an In home agent for geeksquad. Now into hardware engineering

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.