Craigslist replies going to junk mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
Can someone tell me what I have to do to make Craigslist replies go to my inbox instead of junk? I use Gmail and it is imported into my iMac mail. Thanks guys

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much you can do. If the Google server separates Craig's list replies as junk then it's going to put them in the SPAM folder where they'll be automatically deleted in 30 days.

You need to search through the SPAM folder by logging on to your GMail account via the web, and separate those replies by redirecting them to your in box.

C

chas_m

Craigslist replies are a) from people who have never emailed you before, and b) probably not addressed to your full real name. These are two flags for spam and there's not much you can do about that.

HOWEVER, the question is "is this Google that's marking them as spam, or Mac Mail?"

If it's Google, well that's pretty much all she wrote. Not much you can do there.

If it's Mac Mail, you can create a rule (or "filter") that says that all email with (let's say for example) a certain topic goes to (a new mailbox you've set up). Rules take precedence over the Junk filter, so that should work nicely.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK guys, I was afraid it might be that. I appreciate your help, you guys are awesome on here.

Reaction score
There must be a fix, mine was doing the same and a Mac Genius employee fixed it........:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read post #3? It states how it can be fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Wouldn't it be easiest to just shut off Apple Mail's junk mail filtering completely in the preferences since Google is already going to be filtering out the spam?

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never set up rules in my mail, so I would have to learn. Maybe it would be easiest to shut off the Mac filtering all together like Discreptor says

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That won't do you any good if the process of removing the mail is occurring at the ISP level; re: GMail. I routinely have to scan through my GMail junk mail folder using web access to check for valid mail. I did just that yesterday and recovered 3 good messages out of approximately 450 junk ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If Gmail were doing the filtering on these messages, they wouldn't be showing up in his Inbox at all, even under Junk Mail. The default configuration for Gmail accounts in Mail doesn't put messages from the Spam folder in the Inbox; they just sit in the Network Spam folder under the globe labelled "Gmail". That said, I could be misinterpreting his description. Even so, you should disable Apple Mail's spam filter when using Gmail anyway, for precisely the reason I mentioned earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.