New Mac user, need advice.

A

AlexN

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a mac, either the 14' iBook G4 or 17' iMac G5. Which one should I get, does the G5 outperform the G4 by a large margin? I mainly use it at home, but I want the iBook because it looks super cool. :miner:

Anyone here who happens to have both?

Thanks

Reaction score
if your m,mainly using it at home I would go with the iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
ibook is great if you want to move around without any hassle.
i will say the ibook is fast and they have recently been updated.
oh well, if u want to have a bigger screen and u dnt mind having a deskstop, then the imac will be for you

OP
A

AlexN

Thanks for the replies. Do you know if Apple will introduce the iBook G5 soon?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will not see a G5 in any Apple laptops. You will a iBook with an Intel chip before that happens.

OP
A

AlexN

Why? Because G5 produces lots of heat?

Edit: Okay, I've decided to get the 14' iBook G4. :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It seems your want mobility and power.. get the powerbook if you have the money for it... I will also have to say that if you want the power get the iMac, this has sooo much more power, yes the G5 greatly out powers the G4 esspecially the iBook.

Looks like you already made you decision but I had to give my opinion on the subject, good luck with your new iBook.

OP
A

AlexN

Yeah, I already bought the iBook on Apple online store. I'm first-time mac user. All of my current works are done on Windows, so even though the G5 has more power, iBook G4 is enough for me for now.

Once I get to know more about the mac platform, I will upgrade in the future. For now, I will be enjoying the iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.