• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Suitable responses to my friend's anti-Mac diatribe?

Reaction score
Yesterday, myself and a friend - who is one of the Tech Support guys at a London university - got onto the topic of Macs while chatting on IM. He waxed somewhat lyrical on exactly why he has so little love for them, and - while I made a fair few points in their favour - there was still much that he stood-by.

Just to make it clear, I'm not posting this to troll or offend, I'm just genuinely curious to hear your responses & opinions on what I should say to him the next time the topic comes up...

Here, in a suitably edited & consolidated form, is what he had to say:
I hate Macs...

As to why...

I don't think much of the OS; it's just a UNIX-derivative like FreeBSD with a restrictive GUI dumped on top of it (if I want a UNIX-like kernel with a custom shell I’ll go with Linux). The hardware is all blow and no go; last year's technology for triple the price it's worth. Restrictive upgrade potential, locked into using (expensive) Apple components for EVERYTHING - even HDDs and RAM. Instant incompatibility with 99% of other computers on the planet; Macs prefer their own file system - in PC country you just plug and go. Plus blind faith in the benevolence of Apple, against any common sense appraisal of the company, on the part of the majority of the users...

Mac Users: Desperate to set themselves apart from the mainstream because to be a part of the mainstream is to be a mass-market sheep... But not realising that they’re simply aligning themselves with a different flock...

I have little time for devotees. Particularly devotees who claim they are because they're “smarter”. No. Jumping on the anti-bandwagon PURELY to not be on the bandwagon itself is being led all the same; except that instead of going with the better platform, or the most versatile platform, or the platform which suits your needs best, you're going with the *other* platform just to be a part of a "cool" minority.

I guess it's reassuring for some people to think that it's been made impossible to do anything wrong... But, they fail to realise that anything that's designed to be idiot-proof is, by definition, designed for use by idiots!

"It's for your own good!" That's the Apple motto. You're not using the Mac, Steve Jobs is. You ask him if he'll let you do the things you want to do, and he says "no, but tell me what you want and I'll do it for you, unless it's something I don't like in which case you can't do that", which some people like; if you don't know how to do it and what you want to do is simple OS X does it for you, but if you want to do anything else? No chance...

It's sad really...

But, still, I can't really fault Steve Jobs for taking advantage of those people... I'd sell people £300 of hardware & an essentially free OS just with a proprietary GUI for £2000 if I could! I'll admit, form a purely aesthetic point of view, that Macs look nice; and in their favour the hardware is immaculately built; but that's not the reason to choose a computer! Even given the comparison of set-up procedures:

Mac: Take out of box, plug keyboard into monitor, plug into wall socket, turn on. Done.

PC: Take base unit out of box, take monitor out of box, take mouse and keyboard out of box, take sixteen power bricks out of box, connect everything to everything else, plug in seventeen 4-way outlets, turn on, wait four hours. Done.

I just honestly cannot see the long-term appeal. It's about recognising when X platform is more appropriate than Y. Genuinely evaluating something, based on its merits, rather than saying "WAH!!! MAC RULEZ PC IS FOR L00Z3R$!!!1!” I think of myself as somebody who knows what he's talking about to a certain extent; and even with intimate familiarity with the problems that Windows and PCs have in general... I'll ALWAYS pick Windows and x86 architecture.
So, I'm sure there'll be plenty of dissenting points of view; let's hear 'em!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just say to him, "don't you have better things to do like scan for viruses, or are you just waiting for your system to boot?"

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
locked into using (expensive) Apple components for EVERYTHING - even HDDs and RAM.

wrong

Instant incompatibility with 99% of other computers on the planet

wrong

That is stupid and narrow minded. ask him to explain how this works. I havent had a single incompatibility with a PC, or any other computer system for that matter. In fact, I have had more problems with windows.

I think of myself as somebody who knows what he's talking about to a certain extent;

obviously not, if he thinks Apple use "proprietary" hard drives, and that they are "incompatible" with "99.99%" of computers (bearing in mind that Macs actually make up a fair proportion of that base anyway, and of course, all Macs are made incompatible with eachother.)

I guess it's reassuring for some people to think that it's been made impossible to do anything wrong... But, they fail to realise that anything that's designed to be idiot-proof is, by definition, designed for use by idiots!

You mean to say He hates it because it's easy to use? if theres anything more idiotic than that i'd like to hear it.

I'll ALWAYS pick Windows and x86 architecture.

Again, misinformed. OSX is also x86/x64.

Your friend who "knows what he is talking about" needs to wake up and smell the coffee. And maybe read a few more books/articles/magazines about what a Mac actually is before he judges the people who use them as "idiots", when it seems perfectly clear that the only idiot in this argument is himself.

/RANT
/SARCASM
/THREAD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As much as I approach these types of debate with apathy, I can't let some of the ignorance here go without comment.

The hardware is all blow and no go; last year's technology for triple the price it's worth.
That's just not true. Show him some price comparisons or better yet, get him to prove this since the burden is on the individual making the claim.

Restrictive upgrade potential, locked into using (expensive) Apple components for EVERYTHING - even HDDs and RAM.
That must be why I had Corsair RAM (old RAM - forget what I have now) and a WD HD. Also, you could get him to show you a link with Apple branded HDs and RAM and watch him come up empty.

Instant incompatibility with 99% of other computers on the planet
You have to love ambiguous statements.

Macs prefer their own file system - in PC country you just plug and go.
Windows prefers its own filesystem too. And how are Macs not plug and play?

Plus blind faith in the benevolence of Apple, against any common sense appraisal of the company, on the part of the majority of the users...
There are plenty of Windows fanboys and plenty of Apple users who are critical when they make announcements (the IRC channel during the WWDC keynote is evidence of this).

Mac Users: Desperate to set themselves apart from the mainstream because to be a part of the mainstream is to be a mass-market sheep... But not realising that they’re simply aligning themselves with a different flock...
What? He's making the assumption that all Mac users are "hipsters." This is also coming from the guy who implied that he would use Linux which is more obscure.

I have little time for devotees. Particularly devotees who claim they are because they're “smarter”.
Isn't that what he's doing right now? Isn't he implying that he's "smarter" because he made the right choice in dedicating himself to the Windows platform?

No. Jumping on the anti-bandwagon PURELY to not be on the bandwagon itself is being led all the same; except that instead of going with the better platform, or the most versatile platform, or the platform which suits your needs best, you're going with the *other* platform just to be a part of a "cool" minority.
He again assumes that people use Macs because they're "hip" or "cool". He also assumes that Macs are less versatile (whatever this might mean in this context) and an inferior platform in every single instance.

This one is too easy. I'll let you be creative with this one.

"It's for your own good!" That's the Apple motto.
Source?

You're not using the Mac, Steve Jobs is. You ask him if he'll let you do the things you want to do, and he says "no, but tell me what you want and I'll do it for you, unless it's something I don't like in which case you can't do that", which some people like; if you don't know how to do it and what you want to do is simple OS X does it for you, but if you want to do anything else? No chance...
Ask him how OS X does this precisely. See if he has any actual examples to see if he knows what he's saying. I bet he has no actual examples.

It's sad really...
So is his anger in the unsubstantiated argument he's making. It's also sad that he has to demean your choice for absolutely no productive reason.

But, still, I can't really fault Steve Jobs for taking advantage of those people...
Now he's just calling you an idiot (as he implied above with the "designed for idiots" comment).

I'll admit, form a purely aesthetic point of view, that Macs look nice; and in their favour the hardware is immaculately built; but that's not the reason to choose a computer!
I agree that aesthetics are not a reason to buy a computer. That said, I'd love to know what his reason for buying a specific brand is.

I just honestly cannot see the long-term appeal.
You can't see the appeal in using a Windows machine. What makes him anymore right than you?

It's about recognising when X platform is more appropriate than Y.
He is once again assuming that the Windows platform is somehow inherently better than the Mac in every context for every person.

I'll ALWAYS pick Windows and x86 architecture.
Good for you. (If you want to be really picky, note that the Mac is built on the x86 architecture).

I've been really pedantic with his argument as you can tell. You probably don't have to respond that way.

As with every argument such as this, if you somehow get sucked in, don't spend time trying to justify why you chose the Mac especially if people approach the argument in such a (what appears to be) hostile manner. Make him prove, with evidence (this is what gets people), why his argument should persuade you that you're wrong/he's right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Here's the most suitable response to people like this: IGNORE IT

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Exactly what I was thinking...great answer!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Hypocrite.

That is all.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I agree arguments like this are basically pointless. I am (I believe) a relatively intelligent consumer and I have decided Macs are worth the money. It's my money, my use criteria and my call.
Who is anyone else to judge.

But, on a somewhat related note. What percentage of IT professionals do we have on this forum? I ask because I saw a brief article a couple of years ago that stated substantial numbers of IT were switching to Macs for their personal machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
excuse me while I use vmware to book windows 7 on my apple.

Also when Im tired of this MBP laptop in 2-3 years I will enjoy selling it for 70% of its value.

I have some Dell Precision laptops I am reselling, those cost $1200-$1500 new I think. They sell on ebay and craigslist (if im lucky) for about $250-$350. quite a price drop after a few years.....

who is the idiot now? my new Apple will cost me an extra few hundred, unless he buys the garbage entry level windows laptop running ultra celerons hes going to be looking at several hundred.

stick an extra few years on there and watch the price comparisons again. The original MBPs are worth at least $500 I think.....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Normally I'd agree but once someone says, "I think of myself as somebody who knows what he's talking about" after demonstrating utter lack of knowledge, it's hard not to point out the flaws (admittedly, this could be the academic in me). That and the OP is already engaged in the debate.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see that this thread adds any value to the forum. It might even be someone useful if the writer of the diatribe posted it, but he (she?) is not even here to contribute to the discussion. Regardless, the Mac vs. PC thing has been done to death both here and elsewhere and at the end of the day, doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever. This is roughly akin to a Ford fan bringing his Chevy fan friend's concerns into a Ford forum. What does it accomplish?

Don't like Macs? Good for you. Different strokes for different folks - no one is making you buy one. I can certainly understand feeling compelled to correct ignorance, but even that's not being accomplished with this second-hand story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I got the same negativity from some friends when I started driving VWs over 12 years ago

Just ignore it!

I find that most apple hate comes from ignorance or jealousy just like everything else in life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I find something along the lines of "u mad bro?" tends to get the response I most enjoy out of these types.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just tell him he is a wanker and look for better 'friends'.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
lol. As usual Harry gets right to the heart of the matter. Nice job mate.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There are just some things you don't talk about with friends...and some of those things are politics, religion and now this...

I would steer clear of the above topics or else you risk your friendship. :p

Reaction score
I hear this all the time from a friend of a friend. And I turn the other ear. Sometimes I hear it from him too. But, I still call him a friend because I ignore his rant against Macs and Apple.

A Mac and a Windows PC do the same thing: they make doing things easier, they provide entertainment.

As cwa107 stated, there is really no point in arguing such things. A Ford is car brand, and so is a Chevy (albeit, a part of a larger car brand). Either car will get you out of your driveway and to the parking lot of wherever. The only difference between Mac and PC is the operating system.

Send him a book on computer history.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
My response? Reboot my MBP into Windows 7.

This whole "x is better than y just because" is old and tired. You can see it in PC's, Phones, Music Players, TVs, any technology where there is more than one alternative.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would probably%2

EDIT: Something apparently happened between my making this post and it actually making it into the system. If a staff member wants to delete it fine, otherwise I will leave it as is unless I feel like exerting the brainpower to remember what it was I wanted to say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.