• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS 5 to sell text alert tones through iTunes

Reaction score
iOS 5 to sell text alert tones through iTunes

buytones6811.jpg

The beta version of iOS 5 includes a new feature that lets you buy ringtones for alert messages, and is just one of the 200 new features that are to debut in the new operating system.​

The ringtone option is found in the settings menu under the sounds. Users select any of the available alerts like Text Tone, New Voicemail, or New Mail to see a list of available sounds. You can choose from any of the default sounds as well as "Buy More Tones." Clicking on the "Buy More Tones" button in iOS 5 launches the Ringtones Store within iTunes.​

This feature and others like it were apparently too small for Jobs and other Apple luminaries to mention in the Monday WWDC keynote. Expect to see more of these little gems surface over the next weeks as developers begin diving into the beta release of iOS 5.​

iOS 5 to sell text alert tones through iTunes originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
It's about time. I love Apple products, but sometimes they miss the boat. And custom SMS tones was a mighty big boat to miss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
It's about time. I love Apple products, but sometimes they miss the boat. And custom SMS tones was a mighty big boat to miss.

Indeed. They've been customisable since they days of the Nokia 3310! I was pretty shocked when I first got my iPhone and realised I couldn't do it without jailbreaking...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I messed around with my friends iPhone 4 running iOS 5 for about a half hour

I must have missed this

Reaction score
I edited a few of my contacts on my iPod touch today...changed their ringtone (I believe this affects what the ringtone sounds like in FaceTime when they call you) and saw the Buy More Ringtones. I was like "whoa! Where'd this come from?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I edited a few of my contacts on my iPod touch today...changed their ringtone (I believe this affects what the ringtone sounds like in FaceTime when they call you) and saw the Buy More Ringtones. I was like "whoa! Where'd this come from?"

But was the feature active for purchase?

We say that as well but couldn't make any purchases

Reaction score
But was the feature active for purchase?

We say that as well but couldn't make any purchases

I wasn't near a Wifi hotspot so I didn't try it out.

However, today I went into Settings>Sounds>Ringtones>Buy More Ringtones and it gave me a list of ringtones in the iTunes Store. I'm tempted to buy one, though I don't have anymore store credit or a credit card on file. $1.29 isn't too bad, is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

The whole individual contacts ringtones has been around for a while on iOS 4. The kink to "Buy More Tones" has been in the sounds Ringtone menu as well.

I do like the SMS and Mail sounds getting this though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think it's ridiculous that for a quick short text ringtone, its ¢99 or whatever. I can add custom ringtones through iTunes, why not text ringtones too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think it's ridiculous that for a quick short text ringtone, its ¢99 or whatever. I can add custom ringtones through iTunes, why not text ringtones too?

How do you know you won't be able to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can't as of right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.