Using the iPhone 4 as a world phone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
I'm considering the iPhone 4 (or might wait for the 5). I live in Toronto and would like to know what I need to do to use it in lets say LA or Hong Kong. Is there a specific data plan I need to have signed up for (e.g. Telus, Rogers...etc. are the main carriers).

C

chas_m

Check with your carrier to see if they will unlock your iPhone. Couldn't hurt.

Basically, what needs to happen here is that you need to UNLOCK your iPhone 4. I believe at least some carriers in Canada will do this if you've been on their plan for x amount of time; a fee may be involved.

Once unlocked, you leave your Canadian SIM card at home (seriously, unless you love HUGE roaming charges, do not even take the SIM with you). When you arrive at your destination country, inquire about a cheap local GSM SIM and a calling or data plan as you like. This will be MUCH MUCH cheaper than any roaming package.

I have an original iPhone I had to unlock in order to use it when I moved to Canada (Victoria, specifically). I have a US SIM and a Fido SIM and just put the appropriate one in depending on which of the two countries I am in.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks Chas. Will keep this in mind when I get my Iphone 5. Wonder if it will need to be unlocked as well.

C

chas_m

Apple has been moving towards selling unlocked phones everywhere it can. In fact all iPhones in Canada are sold to the carriers as unlocked -- it's the carriers that lock them, not Apple.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't know that. I wonder if carriers will lock the iPhone 5 too. Don't think I'll be picking up an iPhone till the 5 or "4s" comes out. Took me this long to be sold on the iPhone. Been using a Samsung flip phone for years. Thought it was all I needed. Then I began noticing all the great apps.

Actually I haven't picked up an iPad yet either. :) Will probably get the iPad 3. I have a 27" iMac and 15" MBP at the moment. I am an Apple fan. So my wait on the items isn't because I'm not into Apple products. I think most are very intelligent and user-friendly.

C

chas_m

Didn't know that. I wonder if carriers will lock the iPhone 5 too.

It's in their interest to do so, so probably. I don't know why they don't just charge a fee to unlock, it would be a huge moneymaker for them in Canada as nearly every Canadian will go visit the States from time to time, whereas now everyone just avoids using their phones when they go down south, or they pay the roaming fees ... ONCE ... and never again because now they know how expensive it is.

I did check with some dealers today and discovered that all the Canadian carriers will unlock your phone for you (for a price ranging from free to $50) as long as you have been with them on a contract for "X" amount of time (varies from carrier to carrier). Seems fair enough to me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your iPhone and iPad when you get round to them. I waited till now to get an iPhone 4 because I refused to get locked into a three-year contract, but neither did I want to pay full retail. Found a nice compromise thanks to someone selling their extra one, so now I have a shorter contract and a cheap iPhone 4.

Now to figure out what to do with this working-perfectly original iPhone ... :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas,

How are you not on a 3-year contract? I think Fido sells iPhone and I'm guessing service plans. Are you with them?

One of my friends works for Telus...I will be able to get the corporate discount (50% off). :) But I think I'll be stuck with a 3-year $50 /mth contract.

C

chas_m

How are you not on a 3-year contract?

Took over someone else's contract. Only two years now, which I'm willing to go for since I'll now be eligible for the iPhone 6 or whatever in a year.

I think Fido sells iPhone and I'm guessing service plans. Are you with them?

Yes. It took like an hour for us to set up the transfer, but once that was done it was easy. I can alter the plan if I wish (not many options, but at least some), and Fido WILL unlock the phone at some point in the contract ... not sure exactly how long you have to be with them to do it, but I'll find out.

One of my friends works for Telus...I will be able to get the corporate discount (50% off). :) But I think I'll be stuck with a 3-year $50 /mth contract.

Yeah, that's the downside of Canadian vs. US plans.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Chas,

About my Telus corporate discount I was referring to the purchase of the upcoming iPhone "4s" or "5". Or whatever they end up calling it. As for the data plans...I'll be paying full$ and might start with Telus' $50 /mth plan to start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.