MacBook Unibody Cracking. Still a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen
Hello,

I am planning to buy a regular MacBook with the unibody shape. However, I can see online that people have had problems in which the case can crack. I have noticed two of these scenarios. The first is when the user of the MacBook sets their palm below the keyboard and rest it there while they think. Overtime, the keyboard separates from the bottom part of the laptop causing a crack in which the two meet. This can then cause the bottom part of the keyboard to come off if it gets really bad.

The seconds scenario is when the user of the MacBook continues to use it like normal, but the battery overtime will bulge out due to normal usage. This normally happens when the battery cycle gets really low. When the battery bulges out it causes cracking in the back the the MacBook (Where the screen folds up and down).

So is this still a problem for the latest MacBook (For $999)? I understand it does not apply to the MacBook Pro's. Here is a YouTube video that shows it up close YouTube - ‪Macbook = Crackbook?‬‏

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I can't access the video at work, but from what you're describing, the chipping and cracking issue was limited to units prior to the unibody design. The top case was separate from the bottom case, and the front edge of the casing would crack, chip, and break away. That's been resolved with the new design. Yes you may still experience stress cracks in the plastic, but they are MUCH less common that the old chipping top case issue. As far as the battery goes, the unibody design does not have a user serviceable battery. It's not designed to be removed/replaced except by a technician. I have heard no reports of swelling in the unibody MacBooks with built in battery.

OP
davyvfr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen
Are you saying that Apple has made the case all one piece? Well thats good since it wouldn't crack below the keyboard, but what about where the screen folds? I figure that still might be a problem? And when you say new design, do you mean the new Pro or the current unibody white MacBook at stores?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.