How to auto-download purchases in iTunes from iOS devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
For those who haven't bothered looking into the new iTunes features and were wondering how to activate this particular feature...

Open iTunes, open Preferences, click on the "Store" tab and you will see checkboxes for Music, Apps, and Books.
I tried this out by "purchasing" a Free song of the week on my iPhone 4 and I saw it instantly start to download in iTunes too. Seamless, simple, fast. I also checked my iPad and the song was not there. So, this only puts new purchases into your iTunes library on your computer. It is not the syncing feature to all iOS devices. I think that is coming with iOS 5.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, there is also no "Previously Purchased" on the iDevices yet except the playlist named Purchased which will only have in it, what you currently have on that device.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Interesting Last night I updated some stuff to the higher quality versions. Shortly after the downloads started I got notice on both the iPhone and iPad asking if I wanted to download the new stuff. Am I missing something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.