MobileMe Sync Issues

Reaction score
I have a few issues I'm trying to work out, and am about to ditch MobileMe if I can't get it to work the way I assumed it should work. Any help anyone can provide, or point me to a resource would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is it possible to have one calendar, one address book, and one mail account, all synced between my iPhone and my Mac using MobileMe? I keep running into issues where I have two calendars on my iPhone - one for my Mac, and a separate calendar for my iPhone. The same with my contacts - I end up with two address books on my iPhone. Mail does fine between the two devices. Is this normal or can I set it up where there is one caledar and one addrss book on my iPhone. I know I can select to see both, but then things show up as doubled.

2) To make things more difficult, I've tried syncing my work PC to my iPhone and Mac using MobileMe and my work PC is connected to an Exchange server. I assume my work contacts, and calendar will show up separately, but ideally I'd prefer one calendar and one address book showing up on all three devices.

3) When I sync my [email protected] e-mail address through MobileMe between my iPhone and my Mac, my e-mail folders and/or search/smart folders do not show up on my iPhone.

I do not use the [email protected] e-mail address, I use [email protected] for my e-mail. My work computer uses a different e-mail address, so I know it will have a separate e-mail account on my iPhone.

Currently, I've turned off the MobileMe sync on my Mac, my iPhone and my PC. I've deleted the MobileMe account on my iPhone. I've logged into MobileMe through the internet and deleted my [email protected] e-mail account/e-mails, my contacts and my calendars, so I should be starting off clean.

Am I wishing for too much, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will have two of everything if you sync your iPhone with your computer and turn on Mobileme syncing.

Either sync your address book and calendar directly with the computer or sync it with MobileMe. If you're going to use MobileMe for syncing these, next time you connect your iPhone to iTunes, uncheck all the stuff related to syncing with the computer for these items.

OP
FLSandman
Reaction score
I have been syncing my iPhone and Mac through MobileMe, not directly between the two via iTunes. That's what didn't make sense to me. I assumed that MobileMe syncing would result an identicle address book and calendar on both my Mac and iPhone, but I get two on my iPhone.

Could it be that when I initially set-up MobileMe that I didn't choose to merge the two when syncing? I honestly don't remember if I did or not. If that's the probem, maybe by me starting from scratch it will resolve the issue.

I did expect a second calendar and address book on my iPhone for my work PC, since it is connected to an Exchange server.

Thanks,
Brooks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have "ever" synced your iPhone with iTunes and those boxes are checked in iTunes, then you're gonna have 2 of everything.

Plug it in and check it out in iTunes. It says right below the check boxes that MobileMe syncing will cause duplicates.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that's doesn't take care of it post back.

(That's what did it for mine. I'd been living with those 2 duplicates for over a year :Angry-Tongue: and just did this last night.)

OP
FLSandman
Reaction score
I've basically given up on MobileMe due to frustration. From what I understand, it's going away anyway.

Another issue I failed to mention that I didn't think was important at the time - I'm transitioning to MS Office for Mac 2011, and when I connect my iPhone to iTunes, it doesn't even give an option to sync the Outlook calendar like it does from a PC. My iPhone calendar is synced through Exchange with my work computer/calendar, and I was hoping to populate my Mac calendar with the same information so I would have it regardless of which computer I was using. I guess if I want to use Outlook and want to sync Calendars, I'll have to stick with iCal, but will it manually sync through iTunes with my calendar that is managed through Exchange on my work compter? Am I wishing for too much?

Any idea why Outlook is not an option for syncing calendars? I have Outlook set as the default mail application - not sure if there is a separate default setting for calendars???

Any suggestions? :Confused:

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.