iPhone audio line input (stereo)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I've been looking all over the new for a decent answer to whether it's possible to get stereo audio into the iPhone. I'm using an iPhone 4 and would like to be able to record stereo audio from a PA mixer preferably via a 3.5mm jack.

As far as I can see, the combined headphone/mic jack on the top of the iphone only accepts mono input and this would have to be via an adapter (such as the iRig or similar). However this is a pretty expensive option and not stereo.

I've also seen the Blue Mikey V2 (plugs in via dock connector) that has a line input on it so I'm guessing it's possible. I'm assuming this is stereo.

I know poeple have made DIY dock connector cables to do this for the iPod in the past and that the audio input on the dock connector are pins 5 and 6.

I've ordered a dock connector and am thinking of sacrificing a 3.5mm Y-splitter cable (one of the female connectors) to make my own cable.

But I'm not sure which app (if any) would be able to pick up the line in signal anyway.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.