mac mail

Reaction score
hello, is there any way of archiving mail on an external drive ? i want to move all my mail off my laptop, but still be able to view it somewhere else ? if not, why not ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try Save As under file then select your drive I would create a folder for it though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note: Moved to more appropriate forum. This was posted in our "off topic" forum and it's clearly an application question.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, but i need a little more than that. i am trying to save 1000s of mails in 50 folders and sub folders so that i can empty mac mail and start afresh. so what do i "save as" and how is my external drive going to "read" the mails ??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Select the Mailbox in the left pane of Mail (this would be the parent of the subfolders you want to archive). Click the Mailbox menu and then click "Archive Mailbox". It will prompt you for a destination for your archive - select your external drive.

If you want to bring your archive back, you can do so through the File menu and choose "Import Mailbox". When prompted, browse to your external and select the mailbox files that were produced by the Archive operation.

OP
F
Reaction score
hi there, great, thanks for this. is there any way of being able to view the mails in my external drive - ie without re-importing the entire mailbox back into mail on my laptop ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi there, great, thanks for this. is there any way of being able to view the mails in my external drive - ie without re-importing the entire mailbox back into mail on my laptop ?

Not that I'm aware of, but if I remember correctly, the .mbox files that Mail outputs are fairly standard. So, I'm sure there's a program out there that can casually browse the files and allow you to see what's in them.

OP
F
Reaction score
mac mail on external drive

wow ! you mean browse each individual mail in my external drive ? if you can point me in the right direction for such a programme i will be a very happy boy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.