Memory Config

Reaction score
Hi All,

iMac arriving soon after 20+ years of Windows. It's coming with 4Gb and I have been given 2 x 4Gb SODIMMS from a mates memory upgrade to 16Gb, so that would be 12Gb question i have is I also have 1 x 4Gb SODIMM at home from an old laptop if I use that instead of one of the 2Gb would that work to give me 14Gb or do that all have to match?

Cheers

Danny

P.S I'm sure this won't be my only post LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Go to Crucial.com and choose your iMac from the selector. It'll have details of the RAM specification for that model.

If it matches the same spec as the two 4gb sticks you've been given . . . you're in luck.

I would, however, stick to matched pairs. In theory it's not essential but often it causes instability (same with PCs). Plus, the difference in 12gb and 14gb is unlikely to trouble you

PS Welcome to the forum

OP
D
Reaction score
Go to Crucial.com and choose your iMac from the selector. It'll have details of the RAM specification for that model.

If it matches the same spec as the two 4gb sticks you've been given . . . you're in luck.

I would, however, stick to matched pairs. In theory it's not essential but often it causes instability (same with PCs). Plus, the difference in 12gb and 14gb is unlikely to trouble you

PS Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the response very helpful, still not dispatched yet hate waiting!! LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.